Baldelli revisited

Sports Guy

If the D-Rays were willing to be reasonable, they probably already would have cleared some space in that crowded outfield. They seem like want to fleece whatever team they are dealing with...hoping that somebody will be willing to do another kazmir for zambrano type deal.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't give both Ray and Penn. Penn and a lower level prospect should be enough for a guy someone is looking to move. He does have a very good contract though.

The thing is, they aren't desperate to move him.

They could just keep him and trade Dukes or Upton, as they may do because Florida reportedly doesn't want to give up what it will take to get Rocco.

Jayson Stark said they want 2 potential superstars. I have read they want pitching, possibly a reliever and top pitching prospect.

www.mlbtraderumors.com has more on this.

I wouldn't give both Ray and Penn. Penn and a lower level prospect should be enough for a guy someone is looking to move. He does have a very good contract though.

I would think Penn would be more valuable to us than Ray...

I would think Penn would be more valuable to us than Ray...

Yeah, but Penn hasn't totally proven himself yet. He still has some prospect status.

From what it sounds like Erbe and Olson, and to a lesser degree, Beato, have what it takes to be better than Penn. Those are the guys I wouldn't consider trading.

Penn and a low level minor leaguer in a second for Baldelli.

Yeah, but Penn hasn't totally proven himself yet. He still has some prospect status.

From what it sounds like Erbe and Olson, and to a lesser degree, Beato, have what it takes to be better than Penn. Those are the guys I wouldn't consider trading.

I havent heard a single thing that suggests Olson will be better than Penn.

I would figure on the totem pole, it would be Erbe and Beato, and to the lesser degree, Olson.

Olson's stuff isn't as good as Penn's, and we would all be well-served to remember that Olson is actually an entire year older than Penn, who has had success at higher levels.

I would figure on the totem pole, it would be Erbe and Beato, and to the lesser degree, Olson.

Olson's stuff isn't as good as Penn's, and we would all be well-served to remember that Olson is actually an entire year older than Penn, who has had success at higher levels.

True, good point.

From what I've seen at the ML level, I haven't been that impressed with Penn's stuff though. Not just because he gets hammered, but I don't think his fastball moves a whole lot and I don't think his breaking ball is that great, either.

I'm more worried about whether or not he is going to start taking walks than his injury history. A few more walks and he's an MVP candidate.

His numbers are not that of an MVP candidate. He's good no doubt but he is not a Rodriguez, Jeter, Tejada, Ortiz type guy.

I've said it before, Baldelli is a great fit for this club and would be perfect in the two hole. He'd solve LF for this year and then could switch over to CF when Patterson leaves via trade or FA. The best thing to do is keep him in LF to keep him the healthiest though. An outfield of Baldelli/Patterson/Markakis would be the among the best in the AL as far as combined defense and offense. Penn is expendable and so is Ray as we have depth in both positions. Aubrey Huff in LF is not a good thing defensively and Payton isn't good offensively. Baldelli is the perfect combination of both. His stats do compare to those of Beltran at the same age and I think he is on the verge of getting to that level. Penn and Ray is a large price to pay but neither would put the DRays over the Orioles,where as Baldelli gives us that bat and glove that puts us into contender status.

Penn just hasn't gotten it yet and he's had two ML stints to do so. I know he's young but there is a chance he's another Josh Towers or Matt Riley. Chris Ray has some injury concerns with his delivery and reminds me of Gregg Olson and we all know what happened to him. It might be best to sell high on Ray before he blows out his arm. Pitchers are far more injury prone than hitters, so I'd say the risk is just as great that Ray blows out his elbow then that of Baldelli having another serious injury. The trade is a risk, but for those reasons above we should pull the trigger.

I've said it before, Baldelli is a great fit for this club and would be perfect in the two hole. He'd solve LF for this year and then could switch over to CF when Patterson leaves via trade or FA. The best thing to do is keep him in LF to keep him the healthiest though. An outfield of Baldelli/Patterson/Markakis would be the among the best in the AL as far as combined defense and offense. Penn is expendable and so is Ray as we have depth in both positions. Aubrey Huff in LF is not a good thing defensively and Payton isn't good offensively. Baldelli is the perfect combination of both. His stats do compare to those of Beltran at the same age and I think he is on the verge of getting to that level. Penn and Ray is a large price to pay but neither would put the DRays over the Orioles,where as Baldelli gives us that bat and glove that puts us into contender status.

Penn just hasn't gotten it yet and he's had two ML stints to do so. I know he's young but there is a chance he's another Josh Towers or Matt Riley. Chris Ray has some injury concerns with his delivery and reminds me of Gregg Olson and we all know what happened to him. It might be best to sell high on Ray before he blows out his arm. Pitchers are far more injury prone than hitters, so I'd say the risk is just as great that Ray blows out his elbow then that of Baldelli having another serious injury. The trade is a risk, but for those reasons above we should pull the trigger.

Do the words, small sample size mean anything to you?

Archived