The Defense Thread, 2016

OFFNY

It was a ball that carried in right. It was definitely uncatchable. He was tracking it, then pulled up and let it bounce off the wall. He played the bounce fairly well. It wasn't a great play by any stretch, and he didn't look great doing it at first, but I would say it was adequate play for RF in OPACY. So it wouldn't lead me to say his glove should be confiscated, but I wouldn't include it in the game highlights, if that makes sense.

I think if Markakis had that same play, he would have caught the ball cleanly on the bounce off the wall rather than letting it bounce on the ground and then having slight difficulty picking it up. But the outcome of the play would not have been different.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if Markakis had that same play, he would have caught the ball cleanly on the bounce off the wall rather than letting it bounce on the ground and then having slight difficulty picking it up. But the outcome of the play would not have been different.

Fair assessment.

Msy 13

- The O's were in a wacky shift that had Manny in short LCF. He dove to stop a one-hopper, scrambled to his feet and three to Schoop for a force at 2B.

- A pitch bounced off Wieters, but he recovered it and threw to Schoop who made a great catch and tag to nab the runner trying to advance.

Has anyone else noticed Trumbo giving a small, unnecessary 'hop' to catch a ball above his head? I saw him do it before, and twice in yesterday's game alone.

Trumbo is very skittish around the fence. I wonder if he had a bad collision with a wall once upon a time.

Trumbo is very skittish around the fence. I wonder if he had a bad collision with a wall once upon a time.

That's what I was thinking too. Or that he once caught something a friend threw against an electrified cattle fence back in high school and never wanted to repeat that mistake.

The Schoop play was huge and pure genius. Our web gems are not only great, they are intelligent.

Didn't see it, so could you explain? Did it have something to do with letting a ball drop?

Worth mentioning that Moya's misplay of Trumbo's liner was the turning point in the game, and Kinsler's boot of Flaherty's grounder was a key part of the grand slam inning.

Didn't see it, so could you explain? Did it have something to do with letting a ball drop?

Worth mentioning that Moya's misplay of Trumbo's liner was the turning point in the game, and Kinsler's boot of Flaherty's grounder was a key part of the grand slam inning.

Schoops play was the turning point. If they don't get the DP, Wright was in full meltdown mode. He let a soft LD drop and fed Manny knowing that DCab was a slow runner. Most 2B would have cought it.

It was. Cabrera hit a sinking liner to him (bases loaded), and Schoop took a step back so it would bounce to him. It was tricky to stay with it. Had Cabrera ran hard out of the box it would have been close.

Earlier in the series Cabrera hit a popup to Joseph. In hindsight Caleb could have let that drop and turned two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived