O's minor league system off to a slow start in 2016

Frobby

With a few weeks left to go in the MiL season, it's likely that no Orioles affiliate will make the playoffs, and it's possible that they will all have losing records.

Norfolk 49-68

Bowie 49-66

Frederick 56-58

Delmarva 59-55 (but missed the first-half title by half a game, and 17-28 in the second half)

Aberdeen 21-29

GCL Orioles 20-19

Quite the inverse from last year, where we had tons of success in terms of wins and losses. Not sure there are any conclusions to be drawn, but interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

And, on the final day of the MiL season, the O's system is off to a slow finish. Of their six U.S. farm teams, only Delmarva will finish over .500, and they will just barely do so after going 30-39 in the second half.

I can't think of a time in the last 10-12 years when we had less talent in the system. And most of the talent we do have is at Delmarva or below.

And, on the final day of the MiL season, the O's system is off to a slow finish. Of their six U.S. farm teams, only Delmarva will finish over .500, and they will just barely do so after going 30-39 in the second half.

I can't think of a time in the last 10-12 years when we had less talent in the system. And most of the talent we do have is at Delmarva or below.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I think our depth has improved quite a bit over the last year. It wasn't too long ago that Xavier Avery and LJ Hoes were in our top five. We definitely lack talent in the upper minors, but in another year or two that could change.

Sisco and Mancini could both make an impact next year and we have several guys now who could move very fast through the system (Sedlock, Akin, Hays). Next year's Frederick team is going to be loaded with prospects, so I would expect many of those guys to be in Bowie or even Norfolk by the end of the season.

Archived