Mike Wright needs to be in the pen

eddie83

Club has too many question marks down there. I know he may not take well to the role but we need a big arm down there. O'Day is hurt and even if he can be back right off the DL who knos how good he will be. Yes Schoop needed to make that play but it doesn't change the fact that the Ortiz ball was hit hard and Brach hasn't been sharp since the break.

Wilson and Worley are long men, Ubaldo is Ubaldo. Givens has the talent buy has been inconsistent. I really hope they make this move. I mean either way is it a big deal if he is in the pen instead of Wilson?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree--the O's need one more setup man for the stretch run, and Wright has the best chance of anyone in the minors of being good in that role. The Orioles rotation is set for next year in any case.

I'm confused as to why they are still starting him in Norfolk. Like to see what he can do in short stints in Norfolk before they put him in the major league bullpen.

We've seen a high 90's fastball in the past when he's brought it for just an inning or two.

I would like to see him tested out in Norfolk first. I can't imagine putting Wright into high leverage situations right now. Maybe try him out in long relief and use Worley more in later innings.

Especially when he has been terrible in first inning the playoff race is not the time to try something. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade in next week especially if he get first pick ahead of Jays and Sox on waiver claim.

Especially when he has been terrible in first inning the playoff race is not the time to try something. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade in next week especially if he get first pick ahead of Jays and Sox on waiver claim.

Also this highlights the blunder Duquette made releasing Roe and signing Ondrusek who flamed out. What was he thinking? I don't care of Ondrusek has options, he looks horrible.

Also this highlights the blunder Duquette made releasing Roe and signing Ondrusek who flamed out. What was he thinking? I don't care of Ondrusek has options, he looks horrible.

Neither was any good Roe pitched 9 innings gave up 8 hits and walked 7 in that span.

In Wright's one bullpen performance this year he got destroyed against the Sox.

We have to keep someone stretched out in Norfolk in case of a double header or an injury.

Worley and Wilson can't start?

What bullpen game? Never pitched out of pen vs Sox.

If we're hoping for Wright to be a big upgrade, we're in trouble.

We have three long men/mop up types in Wilson, Worley and Ubaldo. In 2012 both Matusz and Hunter were useful parts of the pen down the stretch. For years we have heard Tony and the scouts say he has a chance to be better as a reliever. Why not try it? We have multiple pitchers that could fill the role of a spot start.

In Wright's one bullpen performance this year he got destroyed against the Sox.

We have to keep someone stretched out in Norfolk in case of a double header or an injury.

There was one game in June where Wright's line looked like a relief appearance (2.2 pitched, 6 ER in a 13-9 win) but only because he got knocked out in the 3rd inning and the bats bailed him out in the end. But in relief appearances this year he's got 5.2 innings, 2 ER, 6 baserunners. That's a better line than his starting stats.

There was one game in June where Wright's line looked like a relief appearance (2.2 pitched, 6 ER in a 13-9 win) but only because he got knocked out in the 3rd inning and the bats bailed him out in the end. But in relief appearances this year he's got 5.2 innings, 2 ER, 6 baserunners. That's a better line than his starting stats.

I have no idea if it will work I just think it is worth a shot. He should be in the pen now at AAA at the least . I mean it isn't like he couldn't still start a game if needed at some point. The team needs some different options.

I have no idea if it will work I just think it is worth a shot. He should be in the pen now at AAA at the least . I mean it isn't like he couldn't still start a game if needed at some point. The team needs some different options.

I agree with you. Hart has looked good in his first few outings, but I certainly don't expect him to get righties out. Wright never fills me with confidence, but I could see him being moderately effective if he goes out there just slinging it as hard as he can for an inning or two.

Archived