vs. D'BACKS, 9/25

Sessh

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The Givens - Our infield right now is made up of draft picks and reclamation projects (someone else's draft picks.) Same for outfield. Pitching is light on draft picks and heavy on trades that we developed or reclamation projects save Burnes, Kimbrel, and Irvin. The first five years seem to have gone pretty well developmentally.   My Take - I personally think the question posed in the OP is premature. Besides the regular draft, I'm anxious to see how our new academy and recent entry into the Latin American Market plays out re acquiring and developing talent. To be fair, I don't want to lose sight of 2019 and Elias's starting point. Plus, as noted above, there have been a number of waiver reclamation projects that have been positively developed. Someone else's draft picks if you would. IMO, we are light years from where we were when Elias took over some five years ago. On so many fronts. So, now drafting lower but with near equal Latin American status and a different owner, let's see what the next five years bring. Elias has said he wants a continuous supply of talent. I am anxious to see if he can deliver and the OP raises questions to follow in this regard. TBD 
    • My concern isn’t now as much as it is in the playoffs. I don’t want some pitch to contact version of Burnes out there. Im not saying that will happen and I don’t think it will happen but there have been too many low Ks, low missed bats starts for me early on…I don’t want that to become a trend all season long and into October.
    • Like a few others, you totally and utterly missed the point and your Pollyanna viewpoint is on FULL display when you say the jury is still out on Trimble. Oh well, I can only provide the information for discussion, not change people's minds who's minds are already made up. 
    • Can we get this: C-Adley 1B-Mountcastle 2B-Norby SS-Henderson 3B-Westburg LF-Stowers CF-Cowser RF-Santander DH-O'hearn Batting order can vary
    • Compared to his first couple starts where he K'd everyone he's not missing as many bats but he's also not getting hit hard.  His first 3 starts he had a K rate of 28, but an average EV of 90.3 with a 13 degree LA.  Since then he's had a K rate of 23, but his average EV allowed has dropped to 85.9 with an 8 degree LA.  As a result his xwOBA and xERA are really good.   EV allowed is a weird stat where medium sized samples of 40-100 batted balls is actually more predictive than large samples, but that does make it valuable in looking at splits.   The whiff/K rates are definitely worth taking a look at, but as long as he's not walking anyone and giving up 85 mph grounders and weak flies when he does give up contact, it's definitely not a serious concern.   I also wonder if he's intentionally pitching to contact because he can get away with it, and because he is trying to keep his pitch count manageable rather than give the ball up to our shaky bullpen.
    • I was just referring to Orioles organization pitchers. I'm sure Boddy has successes or he would not have been hired.  Again I'm not saying he's good or bad, but I am a "results matter" guy. Show me the results at the big league level with guys they drafted and developed.  As I stated, I don't know if this is a draft or development issue or a little of both? All I know is we're five drafts in and there are no results from drafting and developing pitchers so far.
    • Can you believe if we can get Jesus to pitch for us?  Ok, just kidding, but if we acquire him, what will our rotation be this year?
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now