Who is Jordan Kipper?

backwardsk

Angels #28 prospect according to https://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2016/12/angelswincom-top-30-prospects-28-jordan.html

Prospect: Jordan Kipper Rank: 28

2015/16: UR                 Position(s): Right Handed Pitcher

Level: AA                Age: Entering Age 24 season in 2017.

Height: 6’4”                        Weight: 185 lb.

Present - Future
Fastball         50 55
Slider 55 55
Change 40 50
Mechanics 65 65
Command    55 55
Control         55 55
Overall         40 50

Floor: AAA Depth or long reliever. Ceiling: #4 starting pitcher. 

Likely Outcome: A 5th starter or swing man in the majors.

Summary: Kipper is an easy pitcher to like from a scouting perspective.  He’s just solid across the board.  He doesn’t need any major tweaks to his delivery, he has a good head on his shoulders and is projectable.  After serving as a de facto ace for TCU, Kipper was drafted for the third time in four years back in 2014.  The Dodgers and Phillies didn’t have any luck singing him, but the Angels fared better after selecting him in the 9th round.  Kipper is a tall, lean (though not skinny) pitcher.  He has a very clean, fluid delivery without excess effort.  Jordan’s fastball is of the hard sinking variety, sitting 90-91.  As he fills out, some in the organization believe he could sit 93 regularly.  There’s also some question as to whether he’ll continue as a starter or move to relief.  But after last season, it appears the Angels best bet is to keep him in the rotation, despite a lack of a third pitch.  Kipper throws a decent slider.  It comes in around 83, with similar downward motion as his fastball, and he keeps it in the strike zone, which is particularly dangerous.  Kipper’s been messing with a change up or curve ball as a third pitch, but neither appear to be something he can use with any consistency at the top level yet.  Even if they develop into a “show me” pitch, Kipper could experience more success than he has so far.  The big thing for Jordan will be surviving AAA Salt Lake.  Kipper is a smart pitcher that pitches to contact, and generates a metric ton of weak grounders and pop ups in foul territory.  This works at the lower levels, and especially in AA. where hitters are more confident and will swing at a pitch, even if it results in a two-hopper to shortstop.  In the PCL, pitching to contact is a very dangerous game.  Those shallow flys turn into medium depth sac flys, and the medium depth flys will go into the gaps or over the fence.  The pop ups in foul territory will leave into the stands.  It’s pretty much the hardest place to succeed.  But because of Kipper’s heavy downward motion on both his fastball and slider, he shouldn’t be as affected by the environment. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=kipper000jor

1.74 ERA in AA, 5 GS, 18/8 K/BB ratio.  So he's a sinker baller.  Looks like the best we could do for a guy that needed to come off that 40 man roster.  

Kind of disappointing that we turned Drake + our top int'l draft slot into a 24 year old, former 9th rd draft pick, that has terrible strikeout numbers.  

http://www.halosheaven.com/2017/5/6/15571138/angels-trade-jordan-kipper-for-damien-magnifico

"In what appears to be another baffling trade, Billy Eppler sent the Angels 2016 minor league pitcher of the year to the Orioles in exchange for a dude with 3 innings of MLB experience.

If the goal is to up the Angels name game, then acquiring Brooks Pounders and now Damien Magnifico seems to be helping with the fact that Eppler traded away Jett Bandy this past off season.

Jordan Kipper, who was the Angels org pitcher of the year in 2016 has yet to pitch above AA level but has steadily climbed in the org..."

19 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

. . . Jordan’s fastball is of the hard sinking variety, sitting 90-91. . . 

Maybe he can show Zach Britton how to get more sink on Zach's 95 MPH fastball. I think that would make Zach a lot more effective. B|

20 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=kipper000jor

1.74 ERA in AA, 5 GS, 18/8 K/BB ratio.  So he's a sinker baller.  Looks like the best we could do for a guy that needed to come off that 40 man roster.  

Kind of disappointing that we turned Drake + our top int'l draft slot into a 24 year old, former 9th rd draft pick, that has terrible strikeout numbers.  

To me, it's more like they got Kipper for the top Int'l Draft Slot. I am happy with what I have read about Kipper. Never saw what others did in Drake.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Trading Drake and the slot for Magnifico looks bad.   Turning Magnifico into this guy makes it seem bad but maybe less bad.    I guess teams love guys who can reach triple digits like Magnifico but he didn't strike guys out and he wasn't even getting guys out at all.

They had DFA'd the Magnifico. 

• 2 weeks later...

o

17 out of the 21 outs that Kipper recorded came via a Groundout. ) O.o

He also got through the first 4 innings on only 31 pitches. :eek:

21 OUTS:  16 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Flyouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Lineouts

JORDAN KIPPER )))))) (vs. AAA-Gwinnett, 5/17)

IP:ll .l7

H:)ll .4 ll(1 Triple, 1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:l.) .0

BB: ll

SO: ll1

Pitches: )l 79 )(48 )Strikes, )31 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 1.50 )(AAA-Norfolk)

2017 WHIP: )l 0.917 )(AAA-Norfolk) )   12.00 IP  (11 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .205 (AAA-Norfolk) )   9 for 44

PITCHES BY INNING

81 ll(51 lStrikes, ll31 )Balls)

81 ll(61 lStrikes, ll21 )Balls)

71 ll(41 lStrikes, ll31 )Balls)

71 ll(61 lStrikes, l.11 )Balls)

16 .l(11 lStrikes, ..51 l.Balls)

19 ll(81 lStrikes, ll11 lllBalls)

14 ll(81 lStrikes, .l 61 llBalls)

o

o

6.67 shutout innings.

All 9 hits that Kipper ceded were singles.

Once again, Kipper got an extremely high number of outs via the Groundout (14 out of the 20 outs that he recorded.)

20 OUTS:  12 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 3 Flyouts, 1 Popout, 1 Lineout, 1 Picked Off of 1st Base by the Catcher

JORDAN KIPPER )))))) (vs. AAA-Toledo, 5/23)

IP:ll .l6.67

H:)ll .9 ll(9 Singles)

R:l.) .0

BB: ll

SO: ll0

Pitches: )l 96 )(56 )Strikes, )40 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 0.96 )(AAA-Norfolk)

2017 WHIP: )l 1.125 )(AAA-Norfolk) )   18.67 IP  (21 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .257 (AAA-Norfolk) )   18 for 70

PITCHES BY INNING

20 ll(13 lStrikes, ll71 lBalls)

25 ll(15 lStrikes, l10 ))Balls)

10 ll(61 lStrikes, ll41 )Balls)

61 ll(51 lStrikes, l.11 llBalls)

15 .l(91 lStrikes, ..61 llBalls)

16 ll(61 lStrikes, .10 ..lBalls)

41 l.(21 lStrikes, .l 21 llBalls) ) *

* ) Kipper recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

o

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Lot's a groundouts and very good control.    The naysayers will point to the low strikeout totals (none tonight I think) but I'm certainly intrigued by a guy who can throw strikes and induce ground balls.     At least 2 or 3 of the hits werer poorly struck infield hits.     I'm ready to see this kid and Ynoa get a chance and for Ubaldo to get a ticket on the next plane out of town.

Well I'd have no problem taking a look at him over Ubaldo, but I do have concerns over the almost non existence of strikeouts. Saying that, he's certainly getting guys out consistently in AAA.

o

10 OUTS:  3 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Flyout

JORDAN KIPPER )))))) (vs. AAA-Columbus, 5/28)

IP:lll .l3.33

H:)lll .9 ll(2 Home Runs, 2 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:ll.) .6

ER:ll. 4

BB:.) 

SO:)ll 3

Pitches: )l 76 )(50 )Strikes, )26 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 2.45 )(AAA-Norfolk)

2017 WHIP: )l 1.455 )(AAA-Norfolk) )   18.67 IP  (21 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .300 (AAA-Norfolk) )   27 for 90

PITCHES BY INNING

31 ll(21 lStrikes, )10 l.lBalls)

17 l.(12 .Strikes, ll 51 )Balls)

18 ..(11 .Strikes, ll71 )Balls)

10 .)(61 .Strikes, .)41 llBalls) ) *

* ) Kipper recorded 1 out before departing in the 4th inning.

o

Archived