Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

All the wheeling-dealing doesn't happen in season with other sports. Bob Costas is a pompous ass, but I like this quote.

"Even though there are deals in other sports," Bob Costas says, "rarely does an impactful trade happen during the season. The in-season deals, with their short-term, long-term dynamics are nearly unique to baseball."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Frobby said:

He's not going to bring the kind of return that he would have brought if he was pitching like he did the last three years.    He's just not.    

Then why trade him?  Wouldn't it be better to wait till the off season?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Then why trade him?  Wouldn't it be better to wait till the off season?

As someone pointed out earlier, this might be the only time Angelos approves a sell off. If that's the case they have to get what they can.

With that being said, I still think Britton gets traded for a good haul. It might not be in the mold of Buehler, Verdugo, and Diaz + the way some people want. But I still think he could get something like Buehler and Stewart which I wouldn't say no to. 

I do not see Britton being traded unless he pitches lights out over the next 9 days. If he does, somebody may pay up for him. If he doesn't it just would not make sense to trade low on the guy. I would say that if he pitches like he did in last nights outing against Texas in his next trip to the mound, He will be an Oriole at least until the off season.

2 minutes ago, theobird said:

I do not see Britton being traded unless he pitches lights out over the next 9 days. If he does, somebody may pay up for him. If he doesn't it just would not make sense to trade low on the guy. I would say that if he pitches like he did in last nights outing against Texas in his next trip to the mound, He will be an Oriole at least until the off season.

I'm sure everyone will enjoy watching watching him get two saves a week with next year's club.

1 minute ago, theobird said:

Yup.   I think there's a better chance that someone might overpay for Brach right now.  Brach is a great 8th inning guy that could really solidify the back end of a game.

1 minute ago, theobird said:

We should have traded him last offseason, now his value is lower because of injury and time to FA. His value will be lower in offseason and lower yet next July.

But don't worry the O's will hold him till he is a FA and if he has more injury problems likely get nothing at all, aka Jim Johnson

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

We should have traded him last offseason, now his value is lower because of injury and time to FA. His value will be lower in offseason and lower yet next July.

But don't worry the O's will hold him till he is a FA and if he has more injury problems likely get nothing at all, aka Jim Johnson

I do not disagree with this. I wanted to trade him this past off season when there was no way in the world that his value could ever be higher. But at this point, sadly, you have to hope that he makes a comeback and gets his value back up close to where it once was. Then trade him. The only other option is to trade him now, for a much lower return than what a lot of folks on here are dreaming about.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Duquette's handling of Jim Johnson was beyond idiotic.

Although I would have rather dealt Britton personally, getting upset at Duquette for not trading him last offseason is kind of ridiculous. We won 89 games last year, Gausman and Bundy were young guys who showed flashes and we expected to take a step forward this year, especially Bundy. Have a good lineup. Dominant bullpen. If we were in "let's win mode" then you don't trade arguably the best closer in the game who is still under control for 2 years. Personally, I'd rather move a reliever like that for a ransom and hope Givens/Brach could fill in at closer and do solid but regardless...our strength is and has been our pen. Teams just don't win if we were up come the 6th/7th inning.

Hindsight is 20/20, injuries happen. It sucks. But I'm not blaming this one on DD. We also don't know that we aren't going to get a great package whether that be this deadline, this offseason, or next deadline. Seems like there's a lot of teams that want him with two teams already preparing packages...

Archived