They didn't drop, but Matusz'll take the rock.

I think, if he lenghtens his stride, he could improve his velocity and potentially sit 92-94 and touch 96ish. He'll be a lot of fun to watch -- very excited to draft him.

I am very happy with the fact that he has 2 plus off speed offerings that he can command. That will make his fastball that much quicker to the zone and keep the hitters off balance.

Another thing that excites me is the fact that it appears he has good poise on the hill. Through the first couple years of pro ball, I am sure there will be a lot of ups and downs, but being able to control those emotions could hopefully get him to the show quicker and help us get closer to contending.

It is nice to finally have a pitcher in the fold that is not wild.

JTrea81 does bring up a valid point though. I'd hate for Matusz to turn into Guthrie Part II.

The point is no where close to being valid. This isn't even the team he will be pitching for, so there is no reason to bring up our current teams woes and apply it to a pitcher that will be pitching for a different team.

JTrea81 does bring up a valid point though. I'd hate for Matusz to turn into Guthrie Part II.

Yeah, but no one draft pick fixes the offense, and the Orioles have the resources (money and arms to trade) to make moves at the ML-level.

Yeah, but no one draft pick fixes the offense, and the Orioles have the resources (money and arms to trade) to make moves at the ML-level.

Well said, not sure why other people don't understand this concept. The Orioles have obviously decided to be a pitching development house and from their, trade from that strength for position players. They obviously have an abunance which is by design. I'm sure you'll see some of the ML guys traded soon.

... but the way things are shaping up by 2010 we're going to have twenty-two pitchers (half of them #2 starters) and three position players.
Considering the haul we got for Bedard and the excitement over what we might get for Cabrera and/or Sherrill, having 11 guys who are # 2 or better starters (granted, I'm taking slight liberties with your statement) is, somehow, a bad thing?

Archived