Cashner signing

jcaponio

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Is it possible that Garcia still holds a grudge against the Orioles for the Ritterpusch thing and would never have signed with us for that reason?   That would invalidate "Fact" #3.

Or he may be one of the pitchers on the "Super Secret Medical Decline List."

50 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

According to Roch, Brady met with Cashner in November. Very interesting. Is Brady the GM in training now or what? 

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/orioles-sign-andrew-cashner-to-two-year-16-million-deal.html

It’s pretty clear he is.  Trumbo = bad decision. Two year deal for Cashner = bad decision. Imagine the damage he’ll be able to do when he gets the official title.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Working hypothesis:

1) Angelos realized that the window had closed when the pitching went south last year.   Not only that, but attendance has dropped steadily and season tickets are way down for this year.   Season tickets correlate to total ticket sales, so even if the team miraculously had a great season, attendance would still likely drop.   Walkup helps but only on good weather days and can't make up for the loss of many 81 game plan holders.

2) So Angelos dialled back the budget this year.   This is a demarcation year.   Manny, Britton, Jones, Showalter, Duquette, Brach -- all gone after this year.   He knows in his wrinkled, dusty heart, that we can't win.

3) But DD was instructed to give lip service to winning so that the fans wouldn't completely abandon ship in droves.   A tourniquet to stop the bleeding this year.   Remember, there's thousands of fans who don't follow it as closely as we do.  They'll see we signed Cashner, we have some young guys, and they'll be hopeful.   We're an echo chamber in here, reinforcing each other's despair about the future of the franchise.   We are aware of advanced stats that 80% of people who go to games and spend money are not.   There are plenty of O's fans who watch 100+ games a year, go to 20+, but they don't follow baseball the way we do.   They don't study the FIPs of new acquisitions, or even think about baseball much at all until Opening Day.   Then they give it their full attention.   They've probably never heard of Cashner but they'll read the paper tomorrow and like his ERA from last year, and they'll form their opinion of him watching him pitch starting in April.   The doom and gloom in our niche segment of the fanbase hasn't quite gotten out to all Oriole fandom.   They know we had a bad year and had sucky pitching and the suckiest of the pitchers are gone, and they're waiting to see how the replacements do.   So just by talking about trying to compete, DD is preventing some folks from ditching their season tickets.

4) Next year we bring in fresh new GM, manager, start a youth movement highlighted by Harvey, Sisco, Hays, Akin, Stewart, Santander, Mullins... try to market it as a completely new era.   You won't be able to hide the fact that one era has ended with all those guys leaving, so you'll have to admit you are building.   Hope to get a 1989-style youth infusion and start growing the fanbase back.

Does that explain the inexplicable offseason?  

There's been reports out there that the O's have had an operating loss in 2016 and 2017. I think Angelos saw that the O's had a good roster and was willing to spend up to and beyond the limit a bit to try and push the team over the edge.

I think that is why you see the O's not participating in the international market. They've literally used all of their money on the payroll for players.

Baseball teams spend the money that the team generates. Sometimes, the owner will spend his own money - for example, Mike Illitch of the Tigers (which is why they had such expensive teams and are now slashing payroll). But, basically, baseball teams bring in money and then they put that same money into the team.

They aren't broke. They might have some uncertainty with how much money they'll have coming in with the MASN decision up in the air - but the O's seem to balance their books.

The idea that the law firm pays for the Orioles really doesn't make any sense. I'm sure all of the partners of the law firm would be thrilled the profits of their company were going to another company of which they were not an owner. 

Baltimore is a small market. Last year, they spent as much as the Cubs. That's clearly unsustainable. Angelos isn't a mega super rich owner, either - like Ted Lerner.

I think the O's are trying to do the best then can with the money they have. They're being smart by not trading their prospects away for once. They have a decent core together and just added a veteran starter. If they stink next year - they can trade Machado, Jones, Cashner, Britton, Brach, O'Day, and Trumbo for a lot. But, if they're good - it'll be awesome.

That's just kind of how it is. If you want to root for a team that spends lavishly and is poised for a championship every year - say you have an "uncle" from New York and used to "wear a Yankees hat at Memorial Stadium" when you were a kid. Or start following soccer and become a Barcelona fan. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think one meeting in November means that much.   I suspect Brady gets lots of assignments that we don’t hear about, just like we never heard of this one until today.    He may have met with lots of FA’s or agents, getting things teed up.   

Duquette doesn't have the most outgoing personality - so sending a friendly guy who used to be a player for a first meeting is probably effective.

14 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Maybe. I don't follow his net worth very closely at all. I do know he lost a lot in the recession. Not sure about much else because I have no idea how he invested. It is food for thought.

I would assume that all of his worth is tied up in assets. I can't imagine he has a large cash position. 

14 minutes ago, theocean said:

There's been reports out there that the O's have had an operating loss in 2016 and 2017. I think Angelos saw that the O's had a good roster and was willing to spend up to and beyond the limit a bit to try and push the team over the edge.

I think that is why you see the O's not participating in the international market. They've literally used all of their money on the payroll for players.

Baseball teams spend the money that the team generates. Sometimes, the owner will spend his own money - for example, Mike Illitch of the Tigers (which is why they had such expensive teams and are now slashing payroll). But, basically, baseball teams bring in money and then they put that same money into the team.

They aren't broke. They might have some uncertainty with how much money they'll have coming in with the MASN decision up in the air - but the O's seem to balance their books.

The idea that the law firm pays for the Orioles really doesn't make any sense. I'm sure all of the partners of the law firm would be thrilled the profits of their company were going to another company of which they were not an owner. 

Baltimore is a small market. Last year, they spent as much as the Cubs. That's clearly unsustainable. Angelos isn't a mega super rich owner, either - like Ted Lerner.

I think the O's are trying to do the best then can with the money they have. They're being smart by not trading their prospects away for once. They have a decent core together and just added a veteran starter. If they stink next year - they can trade Machado, Jones, Cashner, Britton, Brach, O'Day, and Trumbo for a lot. But, if they're good - it'll be awesome.

That's just kind of how it is. If you want to root for a team that spends lavishly and is poised for a championship every year - say you have an "uncle" from New York and used to "wear a Yankees hat at Memorial Stadium" when you were a kid. Or start following soccer and become a Barcelona fan. 

This would be believable but each team is getting something like 68 million dollars for sale of Bamtech to Disney.   And in the losing years Forbes was estimating team clearing 25 million a year in profit.   Plus Angelos owns MASN.   The team has debt but I am Angelo's has piles of cash at his disposal. 

3 minutes ago, cimota said:

This would be believable but each team is getting something like 68 million dollars for sale of Bamtech to Disney.   And in the losing years Forbes was estimating team clearing 25 million a year in profit.   Plus Angelos owns MASN.   The team has debt but I am Angelo's has piles of cash at his disposal. 

I think he spent BAMtech the last two years. MASN is a farce.