Jomar Reyes 2018/2019

Luke-OH

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Someone come find me when the 6-foot-3, 220 pound third baseman starts to hit for power without striking out a ton. He's a NP for me, but I do get the interest in the tools. Honestly I'd see if he can pitch.

He hasn’t been the same since he broke is his hamate bone when he was HBP. 

So, Jomar Reyes just finished July in Frederick with a line of 310/398/465/862.  If one looks at the qualifiers in the Carolina League, Reyes would have the fifth-best OPS in the league if he had been doing this all season.

Reyes K/BB ratio improved significantly in July as he was 16/4 in 87 April ABs, 23/5 in 104 May ABs, 19/2 in 84 June ABs; and then 13/10 in 71 July ABs.

One good month is a start.  Let's see if he can keep it up in August.

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

So, Jomar Reyes just finished July in Frederick with a line of 310/398/465/862.  If one looks at the qualifiers in the Carolina League, Reyes would have the fifth-best OPS in the league if he had been doing this all season.

Encouraging to see him start hitting, but you can’t really compare one hot month to somebody else’s season average.   I’m sure there have been dozens of months over .862 by players in the Carolina League this year.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Reyes continues to stay hot in August, hitting a homer tonight.   He’s missed a few games but has a 1.096 OPS in 25 PA this month.   

I have been following Reyes this month and have been waiting to post his strong start to August.  It appears he has missed a few games - so not sure if he is still nagged by something.

Regardless, he is pounding the ball in the eight August games he has participated in with four xbh in 23 ABs and the ops near 1100.

Last 10 games (includes the August games and two from late July), JR is hitting .355 with 4 BBs against 7 Ks.

Not sure any Os prospect is finishing the season stronger than Jomar Reyes.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Up to .261...2 for 4 last night with a homer. I still believe giving him a shot at Bowie is best for his development, but doubtful it is this year.

Since the all-star break he's hit...

.336/.411/.558 with 10 2B and 5 HR in 33 games.

.969 OPS, 10.1% BB, 15.5% K, .222 ISO

A note I've made a couple times on the minors forum, but I'll say it again here...

He had no effort at the beginning of the season, in two live and a handful more video looks, his effort level was abysmal. This hadn't been an issue for him in the past, yes, maturity issues, but he always played hard. If I had to guess, he was probably disappoint at repeating Bowie after a strong finish to his 2017 season and he took it in an immature way.

I saw him live again just after the break and the dude was hustling like his life depended on it every play. Just playing really hard, head in the game. 

• Upvote 2