Belliard

gallden

I'd take his pain anyday. At least his team is in 1st place.

No, No, No, I was alive and in attendance when the Orioles won. They have won multiple times in my lifetime. I could never be the fan of a team that never wins, no matter what, I have to have a bit of hope in my fandom. A tiny bit. The Orioles could possibly win another World Series. They have done it before and I saw it. It is not just a fantasy. Thant is all.

*fistbump*

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know players read this site. Any of you know this guy? Any favors that you can call in?

Hey, Big Kev was a Marlin! :scratchchinhmm:

As soon as Belliard hit it and did the spit thing, I nearly destroyed my $1600 Bravia in the bedroom before quickly coming to my senses. He is definitely gonna get it from the O's at some point in the futre. Total disrespect and looked like a total arse.

I wonder how any Nats fans feel about this? I mean, seriously, lets put the shoe on the other foot. Suppose Kakes wins the game tonight on a walkoff, and spits in the direction of the pitcher while walking to first base. I would be ecstatic at the O's win, but I would be hugely dissapointed in Nick. I am seriously curious what the Nats fans think about Belliard's moves?

And another thing. What is George saw Belliard, and attcked his arse on his way to first base? Say a bench clearer breaks out, and Belliard never makes his way around the bases? Do the runs count? I am curious to know if there is a rule for this???? :confused:

What if George saw Belliard, and attcked his arse on his way to first base? Say a bench clearer breaks out, and Belliard never makes his way around the bases? Do the runs count? I am curious to know if there is a rule for this???? :confused:

I think tackling a HR-hitter during his leisurely stroll to 1B is probably considered interference ;-)

Much better to wait... and wait... and use a FB to sit his butt in the dirt one day when he least expects it... and *then* have the C tell him why...

I spit too. I just try not to do it in a disrespectful way.

I haven't played baseball since high school, so I'm a little out of touch with the on-field vibe. I do, however, play a lot of soccer. If an opponent scored, started walking, stared at my keeper, and spit, I think I'd be a tad bit ticked off. I'd get in his face and say something right away, then someone on my team would wreck shop the first real chance they had.

If someone had yelled out "don't mark the guy, he's terrible" I could understand a little staring or a comment. Somehow I doubt Trembley yelled to Sherrill "walk the tying run and pitch to the fat guy. He can't hit a lick!"

Because immediately starting a fight would solve everything.

There are plenty of reasons to get angry during sporting events. Some guy staring after he scores or hits a bomb is not one of them.

Trading shots like that has been part of sports since the very beginning.

Where's Crash Davis when we need him?

I would have laughed through the tears if Quiroz had gotten up in Belliard's grill and said "run, you Schrutebag Thug! You don't show up my pitcher like that and live to tell about it!"

Belliard's act didn't thrill me yesterday, primarily because: 1) I'm an Orioles fan & 2) I used to be a pitcher.

If you're going to act like that, my attitude is it's better to do it when hitting a come-from-behind walkoff homer than when you go deep to cut a deficit to "only" six runs in the fourth inning.

Belliard is the captain of the Licey Tigres Dominican League club, which is sort of like being captain of the Yankees or Red Sox depending on you're rooting interest there. He's a beloved player in the DR despite being nowhere near the best. I just think that's an interesting tidbit if you consider the cultural issues. Not saying any way is better/worse, right/wrong, but labelling him a thug and blaming hip hop is really a reach IMO. But, as an O's fan, I do understand. Still, Belliard could play for my team, though I liked him more as a young player with the Brewers when he drew lots of walks.

That's the real problem, I guess. Way too many professional athletes in just about every sport these days leave the "sportsmanship" at home. I remember DeCinces' "Orioles Magic" game-winner in June of '79, and there was nothing but pure joy on his face as he rounded the bases. OK, no one was pitched around to get to Doogie, but still... Show a little class, enjoy what YOU accomplished instead of rubbing it in to your opponent. Don't they still teach that in Little League?

Not in the DR, or the NBA.

Alfonso Soriano spits like every 5 seconds, whether he's in the middle of homering, striking out, running the bases, or just standing around. Seriously, he'll spit 2 or 3 times between every pitch.

Like you said, for a lot of guys it's a habitual thing. Probably subconscious, too.

For me it wasn't the spitting...it was the walk down the base line while staring at the ball...

I once hit a BP homerun in high school and stared at it...my coach ( a fomer minor leaguer) nailed me with the next pitch...he told me that I shouldn't upstage a pitcher like that and that it wasn't right. I learned my lesson.

I hit 2 HRs at Aberdeen High the next week and almost past the guy on first because I just put my head down and ran as hard as I could both times.

Respect is a two way street...I say 1 in the ear flap next time!!!

Respect is a two way street...I say 1 in the ear flap next time!!!

I say that throwing one in the ear flap is about the worst thing you can ever do in a professional baseball game. It's the equivalent of slashing at someone's face with a hockey stick. It's one thing to throw at a guy at his hip or back, where it'll sting but won't do any lasting damage. Throwing at a guy's head, especially in that region, can cost a player his career, or his life.

So if you wanna advocate that, go right ahead. I have a sense of humor about a LOT of things, but saying seriously that a pitcher should throw at a batter's head isn't something I particularly care for.

I say that throwing one in the ear flap is about the worst thing you can ever do in a professional baseball game. It's the equivalent of slashing at someone's face with a hockey stick. It's one thing to throw at a guy at his hip or back, where it'll sting but won't do any lasting damage. Throwing at a guy's head, especially in that region, can cost a player his career, or his life.

So if you wanna advocate that, go right ahead. I have a sense of humor about a LOT of things, but saying seriously that a pitcher should throw at a batter's head isn't something I particularly care for.

OK, I agree...the ear flap is bad...can you sense my passion for doing things correctly?

Maybe 1 to the jugular would send the proper message:rofl:

just kidding again...he needs to learn a lesson though, maybe a hard slide into him on a double play

OK' date=' I agree...the ear flap is bad...can you sense my passion for doing things correctly?

Maybe 1 to the jugular would send the proper message:rofl:

just kidding again...he needs to learn a lesson though, maybe a hard slide into him on a double play[/quote']

If the O's were playing them today, I'd assure you that Belliard was going to take one in the hip. I'd be willing to put like, $20 of Wedge's money on it.

Since they're not, I doubt you see much retaliation down the line. Seems a little silly to me to retaliate for something that, by that point, will have been almost a full season ago. I'm not a baseball player, though, and I'm not George Sherrill... so I have no idea how long he'll be ticked about getting shown up like that, if he is at all.

Archived