Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps notable that Brad Brach, who hasn't pitched in five days, wasn't brought in for the ninth inning today with a lead (even when the game got a little tighter after Fry loaded the bases). Seems like it would've been a good time for him to get his work in, with an off day tomorrow. Could mean a trade is brewing.

Just now, PaulFolk said:

Perhaps notable that Brad Brach, who hasn't pitched in five days, wasn't brought in for the ninth inning today with a lead (even when the game got a little tighter after Fry loaded the bases). Seems like it would've been a good time for him to get his work in, with an off day tomorrow. Could mean a trade is brewing.

I was curious about that as well.  

Regarding value, how would you rate Britton's return versus Machado's?  If Machado's return was worth 100 'points', how many points of value did Britton's deal net us? How many points in value should Schoop garner?  I hope this makes sense... I'm just trying to try to gauge everyone's thoughts in a way that seems (to me) to make some sense.  If it's confusing, or not the right way to view it, my apologies. 

5 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Well Wright is our new closer. So that was pretty close to a save situation. Hahahahahaha. 

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

Regarding value, how would you rate Britton's return versus Machado's?  If Machado's return was worth 100 'points', how many points of value did Britton's deal net us? How many points in value should Schoop garner?  I hope this makes sense... I'm just trying to try to gauge everyone's thoughts in a way that seems (to me) to make some sense.  If it's confusing, or not the right way to view it, my apologies. 

Consider how the returns currently rate in our farm system.

Machado - #1 (55), #13 (45), #20 (45), #24 (45), >30

Britton - #6 (50), #14 (45), >30

The numbers are the ranking by MLB.com in the organization, and the numbers in parentheses are the individual prospect ratings.  55 is a projected above average starter; 50 an average one; 45 a bench player.

So, it looks like Britton brought back about half the value Machado brought back.

5 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Consider how the returns currently rate in our farm system.

Machado - #1 (55), #13 (45), #20 (45), #24 (45), >30

Britton - #6 (50), #14 (45), >30

The numbers are the ranking by MLB.com in the organization, and the numbers in parentheses are the individual prospect ratings.  55 is a projected above average starter; 50 an average one; 45 a bench player.

So, it looks like Britton brought back about half the value Machado brought back.

Yeah, that's a pretty good way of viewing it.  Thanks.

46 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well Brach is out of the way. AJ isn’t going anywhere. So we can focus on moving Gausman and Schoop over the next 48 hours. 

I'd be surprised to see either go, simply because of what they'd cost. We'll see.

We/Buck killed Brach's value using him as a closer, he's a middle relief, setup guy and excels at that, never had a knack for closing.

I wouldn't trade Gausman or Schoop, have both for two more years after this one. It is possible for a quick retool and be in the  playoff hunt in two years with younger players providing better (OF) defense and OBP, etc.  We have four quality starters that will also still be here.  If in two years we aren't competing I would trade them a la Machado.  I would also make the case even if competing but not a world series threat, still trade them.

Archived