Renato Núñez

LarryBigbie

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Do me a favor, just put me on ignore. 

You are biased bc you are lobbying for these people personally. Taking shots at Nunez isn’t fair. 

I was stating a fact.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Who cares? We are going to stink for the next 2 years. Dosch’s upside is s utility guy. Nunez could actually return value. But you are too busy lobbying for people to see that. I loved watching Hess at Bowie and I think he can be a solid #4/5 but I am not saying he is a tor guy. Your opinions are tainted.

What does Hess have to do with this?

Also, I said they should give Dosch a chance too, but wasn't as favorable in his post as I was with Corban or Giovatella.

If you are that upset that I said a guy who has never been a good defender, isn't a good defender, then there is more to your outburst. I think he is a good hitter with power. Just not good on defense. Same with Mountcastle.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

and yours aren't tainted?????

I have to be honest, I have not seen Nunez in the minors, but just looking at the errors and fielding percent, would lead one to believe he was sub-par with the glove at 3rd.

Something like 17 games and 6 errors is pretty good evidence towards that opinion.

55 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Normally, I'd say errors are not a good way to measure a minor leaguer's defense, but Nunez had a staggering number of errors playing 3B in the minors.  He's been regarded as a high ceiling hitter, but he hasn't gotten there.  Still, I can see giving him a shot for the rest of the season - certainly over guys like Dosch.  I'm not particularly optimistic about him, but there's some upside, and we've got little to lose by giving him a shot.    

43 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

I saw Nunez on June 30 in Norfolk, a Tillman rehab start. Sat right behind the 3rd base dugout.  Tillman got into trouble in the 3rd due to a Nunez error, and another scored a hit, but really should have been fielded by Nunez.  At least that game, he didn't seem to have a great first step in fielding the ball.  With his bat, certainly worth seeing if he can at least become a serviceable IF. But I'm expecting some growing pains.

Guess these three posters have to put you on ignore too. Guess @Tony-OH does too, since he is critical of Nunez on defense.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I was stating a fact.

Also, I said they should give Dosch a chance too, but wasn't as favorable in his post as I was with Corban or Giovatella.

If you are that upset that I said a guy who has never been a good defender, isn't a good defender, then there is more to your outburst. I think he is a good hitter with power. Just not good on defense. Same with Mountcastle.

Guess these three posters have to put you on ignore too. Guess @Tony-OH does too, since he is critical of Nunez on defense.

I didn’t say his defense was good. I said his upside is far greater than Dosch.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I was stating a fact.

Rene is just a bit zealous of his own opinions.

Heck, we all have opinions, this makes the world go around. :)

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

He does, they need to find players that can play the field and bat.

Hard to win games, with 8 DHs. :):):):)

He’s not Trumbo bad. Plus, who cares. The goal is to get high draft picks. People losing sight of the goal here. In the short term we want to develop tradable assets.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

PCL. Why would a team like OAK waive him?  TEX did the same. 

Who remembers Willis Otanez?  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/otanewi01.shtml

Plug the guy in and play him. Let’s see what he can do. 

Why did Cleveland waive Jesus Aguilar? 

This is hardly the first time a team has let go/waived a guy and he worked out elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

He does, they need to find players that can play the field and bat.

Hard to win games, with 8 DHs. :):):):)

The goal right now isn't to win games. It's to watch young players and hopefully develop them. Guys like Nunez fit that to a tee. He has upside to be a starter somewhere, Dosch does not.

7 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

The goal right now isn't to win games. It's to watch young players and hopefully develop them. Guys like Nunez fit that to a tee. He has upside to be a starter somewhere, Dosch does not.

Someone gets it...

44 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

"Far greater" is a stretch. Nunez can be greater if he can tap into his minor league power in the majors and cuts down the errors by even 20%. 

34 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

26 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Someone gets it...

Both are AAAA guys or starters on lower teams. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. 

I think we are getting into an argument over something dumb.

Do I think Nunez could contribute and develop? Absolutely. But do I also see how frustrated everyone was by Valencia and Beckham (and Pedro...and Peterson) at 3rd with their errors and saying "their bat won't make up for it?" Yes.

He can develop into a fantastic power hitter in the MLB if he can do what he did in the Minors. His defense will just be frustrating and an adventure. It's not a random thing I am making up here.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I was stating a fact.

59 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

He’s not Trumbo bad. Plus, who cares. The goal is to get high draft picks. People losing sight of the goal here. In the short term we want to develop tradable assets.

Interesting or not....you are both right in a way.  This team needs assets it can use to take up time and space and hopefully some of them will develop into assets we can use or trade.

Give em both a chance!!!  That's the best way to see who is right.

3 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I have no issue with running Nunez out there everyday to see what they have. I'm not convinced he's much more than a part-time player/AAA depth guy but I'm willing to give him a chance to see if he's more than that. He's gotta start showing some pop though.

I agree that his upside is greater than Dosch, but they are ultimately similar prospects.

3 hours ago, ISU94 said:

The other goal is to play guys like Trumbo in the hope he gets white hot and someone is willing to trade us a bag of balls for him to get out from his contract next year.

On 8/2/2018 at 12:41 PM, Rene88 said:

Oh, he is def sub-par with the glove. Not arguing that. Just saying their is potential with that bat.

Is there really much potential with the bat?    He has a .769 OPS in AAA, mostly in the PCL.    I’ll confess I’ve been watching so little baseball that I’m not sure I’ve seen Núñez play, so I don’t really have an opinion.  But the vibe I get is he’s 2018 Danny Valencia with a worse glove.   

Archived