Draft Q&A

soxhotcorner14

All,

I wanted to present an opportunity to do a Q&A with a Scout who used to work with Elias in Houston; how he viewed the O’s first draft under Elias. 

Id like to gather as many questions from the members to present them to him by the end of the week. If there is anything you want answered, please leave a comment in the thread and I’ll get those in front of him.

DM if you have any questions. 

• Upvote 2

Why do you think that they selected predominantly college players? Do you think it was due to unfamiliarity or concerns with the current scouting in the organization, because there is more data available on college players, or something else?

• Upvote 2

Do you think it is getting harder for Elias to get the players who meet his criteria, given that there are two other GM’s who worked with him in Houston and may have similar criteria, and that the Astros’ draft philosophy has been pretty well publicized at this point?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do you think it is getting harder for Elias to get the players who meet his criteria, given that there are two other GM’s who worked with him in Houston and may have similar criteria, and that the Astros’ draft philosophy has been pretty well publicized at this point?

That’s a really good question 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, soxhotcorner14 said:

All,

I wanted to present an opportunity to do a Q&A with a Scout who used to work with Elias in Houston; how he viewed the O’s first draft under Elias. 

Id like to gather as many questions from the members to present them to him by the end of the week. If there is anything you want answered, please leave a comment in the thread and I’ll get those in front of him.

DM if you have any questions. 

What information was discussed between picks if he was in the war room with Elias in the past. Especially if the player at the top of their board was picked by one of the two teams before them. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

In this draft, we selected a handful of DII and DIII players. As a scout under Elias regime, how do you evaluate the players in relation to DI and/or HS guys?

What are DII-III players? And what does that signify? I probably should know but don’t.

When he is evaluating or scouting a prospect, what are some things about a prospect’s “makeup” that would be an immediate red flag, resulting in removal from consideration?

Which of these traits did Mr. Elias emphasize that he scout for?

• Upvote 1