Nashville Orioles???

Tony-OH

29 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

If you're using growth of the city (especially with educated professionals) - I don't know that you would want to compare Baltimore to Nashville.  That is one of the hottest markets in the country right now.  It is a "happening" city and I enjoy it there.

No doubt Nashville is growing esp among Millenial population, but Baltimore is a good bit above it on lists of most educated cities.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-and-least-educated-cities/6656/

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles should be in a good position to negotiate a favorable lease, with attendance stripped down to the bone as it is now.    The city will give them a good deal, then the team will start turning around and so will attendance.    

I like this take

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles should be in a good position to negotiate a favorable lease, with attendance stripped down to the bone as it is now.    The city will give them a good deal, then the team will start turning around and so will attendance.    

All part of the master plan? Suck, so nobody shows up to games and then use that as a bargaining chip in lease negotiations?

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Austin-Round Rock metroplex or Austin metro is 2.168 mil. Fastest growing city in the US. Your number is likely city limits. 

I’d love to see a pro team here, but any sport has to compete with UT. And still as hot here at times as Dallas or Houston. Not sure the citizens have the desire for the cost of a domed stadium.

The City of Austin would never finance a baseball stadium.  It almost happened at the AAA level 25 years ago when the Giants agreed to finance 40% of a stadium in a part of town that could have benefited from the investment, but the locals cried "foul!"

We did just come to an arrangement for a new MLS soccer stadium, privately financed on city-owned land, but with 20,000 seats.

The 2 million folks around here have a whole lot of ways to dispose of their entertainment dollars, and I'm not sure how MLB would fare. 

19 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

All part of the master plan? Suck, so nobody shows up to games and then use that as a bargaining chip in lease negotiations?

Serendipity for O’s management, rather than a master plan.   And bad news for taxpayers.  

• Upvote 1

Since the Nats moved to DC in 2005, the O's average rank in attendance has been 20.7 and averaged 2.1 million fans. They have constantly beat out 8 teams in attendance (TB, KC, Mia/Fla, Pit, Cin, Clev, Oak and CWS). In the same time have beat all but 7 teams (NYY, Bos, StL, CHC, LAA, LAD and SF) in at least 1 season of attendance.

The Balt. Metro area has a population of 2.8 million. This doesn't count an a city like Frederick (who is included in the DC metro area) but is an O's stronghold. 

Charlotte metro: 2.5

San Antonio metro: 2.5

Portland metro: 2.4

Vegas metro: 2.2

Austin metro: 2.1

Indy metro: 2.0

Nashville metro: 1.9

Memphis metro: 1.3

I say that to say this, If the O's are relocated, it'd be a crime. Constantly outdrawing (or drawing as well as) 10 other MLB teams or relocating the team to a metro area with a lesser population because of Angelos' brothers incompetent ownership or Manfred's pettiness. 

Edited by badmamajama
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CheeryO said:

The Angelos family moving the O's to Nashville might just be what the city of Baltimore needs.  As others have said the Rays would then just move to Baltimore.  It's not like the Angeloses can take Camden Yards with them.  I dare the Angelos family to move to Nashville.  Why fail in a real sports city when you can fail in a fake one?  Is John Angelos a wannabe country singer like his dad is a wannabe owner?  

I don't mean to single you out.  I think many here, myself included find the ownership performance under Angelos severely lacking.  But I think this is a little unfair, Angelos is not a wannabe owner, he is a very wealthy man who isn't very good at listening to other people's ideas.  He saved this organization from potentially leaving Baltimore and that alone assures him of a worthwhile legacy.  Yes, it's not enough.  Yes, he has presided over an organization that has sunken from one of the better franchises in sports to one of the worst.  But he has not been without some positive points.  

Again, I don't mean to single you out.  I cannot wait for new ownership.  But I also fear that if it is not someone with ties to Baltimore...that things can get much worse for us as fans.  

Take it for what its worth since I guess the toothpaste is out of the tube now. I’ve kept to myself because I was asked to, I have a friend who is connected and told me last year that John wanted to move the team to Nashville and had mentioned that multiple times to some close friends. 

Just wanted to substantiate that rumor, because I heard it independently, and although through hearsay, it was hearsay based on what John had said.  Again take it for what its worth and believe me if you want.

15 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Take it for what its worth since I guess the toothpaste is out of the tube now. I’ve kept to myself because I was asked to, I have a friend who is connected and told me last year that John wanted to move the team to Nashville and had mentioned that multiple times to some close friends. 

Just wanted to substantiate that rumor, because I heard it independently, and although through hearsay, it was hearsay based on what John had said.  Again take it for what its worth and believe me if you want.

Well you have made me hate John. Don’t know if it’s true or not but now I hate him. 

29 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Camden Yards would not sit empty for long. Don't care if Angelos and Company move, as long as Baltimore keeps Orioles team name.

This. 

Who cares?  I'd rather have the Orioles name and anyone not named or connected to Angelos to this club forever.  They have been a pox on this org.  And apologies to Frobby... many lawyers have no soul and do what is expeditious and/or in their interest in whatever term they are looking at.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Good thing John doesn’t own the team and the MLB doesn’t just let teams move.

I don't like to speak in absolutes, but...well, I'll put it this way: I'd be utterly floored if the O's relocated in my lifetime (I'm 28, FtR). And if they ever were to move, they'd be dead to me.

Also, I know (think?) some here are joking when they say they'd gladly lose the O's if it meant the Rays would come right in. If serious, who's to say they wouldn't wind up in Portland, Montreal, or even Las Vegas or Charlotte? Counting on/hoping for that feels like a gutshot draw.