Extending Home Grown vs FA

Frobby

So you're saying there's NOT a group of people who don't ever, ever, ever want the Orioles to spend money on superstar FAs?

Okay.

MSK

That group hardly exist at all. See the max contract Hamilton poll I started. There are a total of 6 people who said they don't want Hamilton at all, the other 90 people just have a limit in place. I assume the 6 that don't want him are largely against it because of the risk. Not because they don't think he's a great player.

• 3 weeks later...
I really don't understand why anyone thinks Hamilton is going to get a contract for > $20 mm/yr. Per fangraphs, he has had exactly one season where he was worth more than that, and that was in 2010. With Hamilton's checkered history, I don't see why any team would pay more than $20 mm/yr even on a 4 year deal. But, maybe some team will prove me wrong.

Well, I've been proven wrong. I don't think Hamilton will be worth anywhere near what he'll be paid the next five years, so we'll see if I'm proven wrong about that, too.

• 5 years later...

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2018/02/what-if-orioles-just-want-to-cut-payroll.html

A less generous interpretation, however, would be that the Orioles may just not want to continue spending at the level they have over their recent run of success, especially since they have spent well above their market over the past half decade. Baltimore is the 21st largest metro market in America with about 2.7 million people. There are six other franchises that operate in markets with 600,000 more or fewer people than Baltimore: San Diego, Saint Louis, Colorado, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Kansas City. 600,000 is, admittedly, an arbitrary number, but I mostly picked it to show the types of teams that the Orioles are clustered around in terms of market size.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Seems to me they're 100% doing it the right way (so far).   How can you cut payroll more effectively than not signing anyone to a major league contract?

Not signing Chris Davis, not re-signing Mark Trumbo, trading Manny Machado, trading Zach Britton all would have been pretty effective strategies for cutting payroll.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Babypowder said:

Not signing Chris Davis, not re-signing Mark Trumbo, trading Manny Machado, trading Zach Britton all would have been pretty effective strategies for cutting payroll.

I'm assuming that cutting payroll didn't become a concern until last year's team was proven to be noncompetitive.

Yea the Chris Davis contract, as awful as it looks, is already baked into the cake at this point.  

That's a fair point about trading Britton / Machado.  I would've liked for us to move both of them for nice returns.   Manny may yet get moved before the deadline........I guess?   If Britton comes back from his rehab and looks at least close to his 2016 self then I suppose that's a possibility too but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

41 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Yea the Chris Davis contract, as awful as it looks, is already baked into the cake at this point.  

That's a fair point about trading Britton / Machado.  I would've liked for us to move both of them for nice returns.   Manny may yet get moved before the deadline........I guess?   If Britton comes back from his rehab and looks at least close to his 2016 self then I suppose that's a possibility too but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

You almost have to wonder if part of the plan is to leave the organization a mess?

By not adding MLB quality starters you are really waving the white flag. The AAA/AAAA rotation will get hammered often this coming season.

by not trading Manny, Zach, Brach, and perhaps Jones you are taking a very high risk of getting nearly nothing for them. But draft picks that are miles away.

by pausing on Schoop you are creating the Manny situations all over again.

the blunders tell me that the decision makers don’t care. The fantasy world of “competing” by Buck and Duquette is just ridiculous. 

It was pretty obvious that a rebuild was/is needed based on how last season went and the Yankees adding and the Orioles dumpster diving.

We need New ownership in the worst way.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm assuming that cutting payroll didn't become a concern until last year's team was proven to be noncompetitive.

I also think that this year's free agents are generally pretty lousy and will all end up being regrettable signings by whatever team eventually gets them. I think that's why the most chatter we've heard through journalists about the O's this offseason has been in regards to trades.

Free agency is a bad way to build a team. A team like the O's needs to be able to develop pitching in-house, they just are really bad at it. Thus, the team's situation this offseason.

• Upvote 1