Wonder what this means for Matusz?

Gurgi

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=425

Missouri righthander Aaron Crow signed Wednesday—but not with the Nationals, who drafted him ninth overall. Instead, he agreed to a deal with the Fort Worth Cats of the independent American Association, and he’ll join the club if he doesn’t agree to terms with Washington before Friday’s 11:59 EDT deadline.

The signing doesn’t change either side’s leverage, as the deadline still applies. It does mean that Crow won’t return to Missouri, where he tied for the NCAA Division I lead with 13 victories and spun a 43-inning scoreless streak this spring. It also won’t allow the Nationals to play the "We’re not sure how serious he was about pro ball" card if Crow doesn’t sign with them.

Randy Hendricks, one of Crow’s agents, said that Crow has nothing left to prove in college and the decision to turn pro was made when he was drafted.

"The Nationals have consistently maintained that there is a system and Aaron has to fit within the slotting system unilaterally created by the owners," Hendricks said. "Our position is that Aaron is a premier pitcher and should be compensated accordingly. We are so far apart that [Nationals GM] Jim Bowden told me yesterday that there was no reason to talk any more. Aaron will never sign for slot money, period."

I was wondering if he will be free to sign with anyone after his contract with the Independant league expires or will he have to re-enter the draft?

There is no loophole. He'll go back in the draft. The existence of independent leagues is the reason that they changed the name of the draft from "amateur" to "first year player" a few years back.

If someone like Crow really wants to challenge the draft and the slotting system all they have to do is go sign a contract with a Japanese team for a few $million and tell MLB he doesn't care if he ever comes back to play in MLB. This Indy league thing is just a way to stay in shape until he gets redrafted by a team with the willingness to spend more money.

I'd like to see the Orioles go after him if he's in an independent league...
I was wondering if he will be free to sign with anyone after his contract with the Independant league expires or will he have to re-enter the draft?

He'll re-enter the draft.

Archived