Comparing Astros/Orioles.

HowAboutThat

We’re in the real tough part of our rebuild. We will be reminded of that quickly after the season starts. Does the Astros cheating ways make anyone less confident that the Astros model is the way to go?

For me, it doesn’t change things. I think the Astros model makes even more sense for the O’s because we’re in a division with the two of the wealthiest teams in the game.  When it’s our cycle to compete, we better come correct. With lots of depth. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re in the real tough part of our rebuild. We will be reminded of that quickly after the season starts. Does the Astros cheating ways make anyone less confident that the Astros model is the way to go?

For me, it doesn’t change things. I think the Astros model makes even more sense for the O’s because we’re in a division with the two of the wealthiest teams in the game.  When it’s our cycle to compete, we better come correct. With lots of depth. 

Billy Beane said his stuff did not work in the postseason. Lunow was trying to find a way to make it do that by the Beltran/Cora cheating model. They got caught. Maybe others were using it. No reason to think that the money ball model, modified for today's data, is any less efficient than it was. Athletics are still a good team.