Palmer: Fed up with Cabrera

Moose Milligan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His primary issue that he brought up today was the velocity drop.... which is something we have been talking on this board for over a year...

I was ok with a velocity drop when there is seemed to be some correlation to better control... but if you are not going to have control, might as well have the velocity and movement that he once showed...

Since we rarely see Cabrera hit above 93-94 for any pitch during a game... it does make you wonder...

Dude, his fastball was dropping to 89 at points today.

Palmer is dead onwith everything he said. Maybe it is time for Daniel to get some new scenary.

Pretty much agree, except for the spelling on "scenery". ;)

I'm one of Cabrera's biggest boosters, but about 12 months ago I started thinking he may be better off in another uniform. That's a shame, because I'd like nothing better than for him to succeed as an Oriole.

He's been in the big leagues for 4 1/2 years, and had 4 different pitching coaches. That's just one reason I think this may not be the optimum environment for him to make the most of his potential.

There are a number of other things that Daniel has only himself to blame for, if blame is the right word. I still think he can be a successful big league pitcher, but I do think it's more likely to happen with a fresh start.

For some reason he just can't LEARN to make the next step and he's had long enough. He wants to remain here, which I appreciate. But he's reached his comfort level and we haven't been able to get him to push it to the next level. Maybe a change of scenery will jog him out of his comfort zone, shake up whatever has ossified with his learning capacity, and make him a better pitcher. I hope so. I also hope we give him the chance to be a better pitcher with another team. Whether he wants to or not.

He's never going to be a "winner" as a ML pitcher. This has been clear for a long time. The only question is what do you do with him. He's too good to release and not reliable enough for anyone to have any trade interest in him. The only thing he has done is stay healthy and pile up innings. But with the diminishing velocity, I think those innings have caught up with him. I really want to know if he cleared waivers. I can't imagine MacPhail seriously has DC in his 2-3 year plan. I don't think it's mental with DC (aka the 10 cent head reference). I just think he's a poor athlete with a real good arm.

Something to keep in mind

I just find it ashamed that there is a Cabrera pile on every time the guy has a bad outing. Cabrera is who he is and that's a back of the rotation starter who on most nights is going to get you into the 7th inning. He was bad last night. Got it. He'll be bad again. However, he'll also keep you in most ball games and considering the O's options right now in the rotation, is still has value.

I just think his bashers expect too much out of him. There is no light bulb folks. He's not going to suddenly become a number one or two starter. He's going to have good starts, but even in those he's going to give up his share of runners. The sooner people accept who he is on the mound, the sooner we get rid of the Cabrera needs to go threads after every bad start.

Archived