Iglesias signs with O's

weams

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is curious that the Orioles are pinching pennies in so many ways, yet were willing to spend this much on a position that was not an extreme need.

I don't know if you buy Martin's defense, but he put up below average defensive numbers according to every advanced metric out there, and he's a complete zero with the bat.  He's not as big of a hole as Chris Davis, but he sure is close.  This is a 2-3 win upgrade for peanuts, at least in baseball terms.

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don't know if you buy Martin's defense, but he put up below average defensive numbers according to every advanced metric out there, and he's a complete zero with the bat.  He's not as big of a hole as Chris Davis, but he sure is close.  This is a 2-3 win upgrade for peanuts, at least in baseball terms.

Well, in my thread about the subject, there was pretty much agreement among the crowd that the defensive statistics were a bit unfair to Martin. He certainly seemed more than adequate out there, and his second half offense showed noticeable improvement. I personally feel that after spending an entire year against major-league pitching, he’s not going to improve any by suddenly NOT facing major league pitching, and his defense is major league acceptable.

But if that’s what the GM wants to do, that’s fine and I will not say him nay. 

• Upvote 1

The 3 D's:

1. Defense

2. Development

3. Depth

This signing improves all three. It gives them capable if not elite defense at SS, it allows them to give Martin a ton of AAA time without feeling the need to rush him back up, and it improves MI depth across all levels. There's no temptation to bump a guy up earlier than necessary. 

And it's nice to see a few million thrown at an actual MLer. He's not blocking anyone so why not. 

• Upvote 2

I came on to do my weekly check up in the off season, expecting nothing doing.

Happy to see this type of acquisition. Obviously they're willing to spend a bit above the minimum in strategic situations. That's good to see and this checks a few different boxes. Plus hopefully we can flip him at the deadline. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

The 3 D's:

1. Defense

2. Development

3. Depth

This signing improves all three. It gives them capable if not elite defense at SS, it allows them to give Martin a ton of AAA time without feeling the need to rush him back up, and it improves MI depth across all levels. There's no temptation to bump a guy up earlier than necessary. 

And it's nice to see a few million thrown at an actual MLer. He's not blocking anyone so why not. 

I’d call his defense better than capable.    He’s a top 5-10 defensive SS.    

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, in my thread about the subject, there was pretty much agreement among the crowd that the defensive statistics were a bit unfair to Martin. He certainly seemed more than adequate out there, and his second half offense showed noticeable improvement. I personally feel that after spending an entire year against major-league pitching, he’s not going to improve any by suddenly NOT facing major league pitching, and his defense is major league acceptable.

But if that’s what the GM wants to do, that’s fine and I will not say him nay. 

If you think he's a league average defender then he's a replacement level or slightly under replacement-level player.  There's still some decent production to be gained with Iglesias.  I think it's probably the kind of decent, cheap move you make if you're trying to feign competitiveness while rebuilding.  I wonder if we're going to try and pick up a defense-first fielder at 2B as well.  Villar didn't grade very well at 2B either, and preventing 30 runs on defense would be akin to about 0.2 on the staff ERA, on a team that sorely needs that run prevention.