MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

There are 14 confirmed cases in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

But many people have not been tested due to only three labs can test The person in California, they asked to test him earlier and were  told to wait.South Korea has many more cases but have tested thousands of people.As for what happens here no one can give a firm answer Also the flu has killed over 12 000 in the US this year. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But many people have not been tested due to only three labs can test The person in California, they asked to test him earlier and were  told to wait.South Korea has many more cases but have tested thousands of people.As for what happens here no one can give a firm answer Also the flu has killed over 12 000 in the US this year. 

Sure, but any talk of modifying the season is incredibly premature. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but any talk of modifying the season is incredibly premature. 

I spent half my day yesterday writing a memo to my firm about steps we are taking to be prepared for any disruptions from the coronavirus, and steps our employees should be taking to minimize risk and be prepared.    So, I don’t think it’s premature to wonder if it could happen, which is all the OP did.    But obviously no decision like that will be made now.    We’ll see what the situation is in three weeks.    

A guy who works for me has a girlfriend who works for the government and was sent to Japan to help the offboarded Americans who were on the cruise ship.   She’s a single mom and had to leave her daughter with an aunt to fulfill her assignment.    Who knows when she’ll be back, or whether she’ll have to be quarantined after spending several weeks over there.     

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I spent half my day yesterday writing a memo to my firm about steps we are taking to be prepared for any disruptions from the coronavirus, and steps our employees should be taking to minimize risk and be prepared.    So, I don’t think it’s premature to wonder if it could happen, which is all the OP did.    But obviously no decision like that will be made now.    We’ll see what the situation is in three weeks.    

A guy who works for me has a girlfriend who works for the government and was sent to Japan to help the offboarded Americans who were on the cruise ship.   She’s a single mom and had to leave her daughter with an aunt to fulfill her assignment.    Who knows when she’ll be back, or whether she’ll have to be quarantined after spending several weeks over there.     

MLB should already have stacks of contingency plans to cover various disturbances.

54 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Yeah I have only not gotten the flu shot once in the last 6 years.  That year I got the flu and had severe wheezing and had to get multiple treatments at the hospital.  I was told if I wasn't better in 24 hours I was getting admitted which fortunately I did.  And I am healthy individual.  So I don't think people should minimize the flu.  People say they have the flu when really they just have a bad cold.  If you do have the flu it is pretty severe. 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Could MLB do it?

Sure.  But it'd have to be pretty bad.

Happy to help.  lmk if you have any other questions.

Define bad. The reason to avoid "bad" is to make appropriate measures before it becomes "bad". I believe the Tokyo Olympics has a good chance to be postponed. The MLB decision would not be done by MLB, the government would have to call for it. Let's all hope it all gets under control and these decisions turn out to be unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Good news . Now we will see if cases jump exponentially.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/02/27/809936132/cdc-fixes-issue-delaying-coronavirus-testing-in-u-s

The interesting thing about the coronavirus and its affect on American society is most probably that it will accelerate a trend that is already taking place. Why go into a public place if you do not need to? We can watch the games at home for less money and get a better experience. We can watch concerts at home, we can have our food delivered by the Grocery delivery service, we can do every shopping we want to do on Amazon and have everything delivered.

And the terrorists are not going to blow up our house, We don’t have to worry about “disgruntled postal workers” And we don’t have to worry about the coronavirus.

The United States is already moving indoors; This virus epidemic is being made worse by the awful dishonesty of the Chinese government and the political response in the United States, but my personal feeling is that it is just going to accelerate what is already happening.

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Define bad. The reason to avoid "bad" is to make appropriate measures before it becomes "bad". I believe the Tokyo Olympics has a good chance to be postponed. The MLB decision would not be done by MLB, the government would have to call for it. Let's all hope it all gets under control and these decisions turn out to be unnecessary.

The problem is that the people who define “bad” are paying attention to the consequences in a personal way.  Letting a problem continue because directly addressing it would cost you in someway is so common it is the rule rather than the exception. Nothing is slower in responding than a government, especially when the response required is so drastic. 

The Chinese government arrested the Doctor Who first identified the virus and made him promise to say nothing about it. he agreed but then went against his agreement and I don’t remember whether he was arrested again and died of the virus in captivity or died of the virus before he could be arrested again, but the Chinese government doesn’t give a damn about the Chinese.

They are perfectly willing to let millions of their citizens die rather than admitting that they made a mistake.

Edited by Philip

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

The interesting thing about the coronavirus and its affect on American society is most probably that it will accelerate a trend that is already taking place. Why go into a public place if you do not need to? We can watch the games at home for less money and get a better experience. We can watch concerts at home, we can have our food delivered by the Grocery delivery service, we can do every shopping we want to do on Amazon and have everything delivered.

And the terrorists are not going to blow up our house, We don’t have to worry about “disgruntled postal workers” And we don’t have to worry about the coronavirus.

The United States is already moving indoors; This virus epidemic is being made worse by the awful dishonesty of the Chinese government and the political response in the United States, but my personal feeling is that it is just going to accelerate what is already happening.

I don't know live events seem to have tons of people.  We have overtourism going all over the world.  Museum attendance is at an all time high. Broadway attendance is at an all time high. Up 9.5 percent last year. Aquarium is always packed.  I think it is just spectator sports that is seeing this downturn.  

Curious if the Orioles playing to an empty Camden Yards a few years ago during the riots will have any precedence here.  I can see MLB teams playing to empty stadiums.  

People would still watch on TV.  But I wonder if after it's blown over, found a vaccine, whatever...if people would go back to the stadiums.  I bet there'd be some that would to be able to get out of the house but...I dunno, the home experience is just so much better, I think people will come to realize that.  

(I know, Frobby, you love being there)

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Curious if the Orioles playing to an empty Camden Yards a few years ago during the riots will have any precedence here.  I can see MLB teams playing to empty stadiums.  

People would still watch on TV.  But I wonder if after it's blown over, found a vaccine, whatever...if people would go back to the stadiums.  I bet there'd be some that would to be able to get out of the house but...I dunno, the home experience is just so much better, I think people will come to realize that.  

(I know, Frobby, you love being there)

The empty stadium would work as long at the players didn't start getting sick.  There seem to be flu outbreaks with the club.   Butt are you going to have minor league games in empty stadiums?  What do you do about that?  

Like others have said hopefully it doesn't get to that.  I don't see the schools cancelled for a month working either.