Mancini: If baseball returns in 2020, it will probably be without me (Great article)

eddie83

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, bobmc said:

Hers (or here) is some good news!

Wow, I had no idea.     I remember Trey mentioning he had a girlfriend but had no idea he and Sara P. were an item.  

From Trey’s article:

My girlfriend, Sara, had just flown down that day from Washington, D.C., and she was there at my bedside. She was holding my hand — squeezing it, actually — when I woke up. The doctor was with her, and he very calmly and matter-of-factly began to explain the results of the colonoscopy. He started by eliminating all the possible things it could have been. I was still woozy from the anesthesia, but before he even said the word cancer I was thinking to myself, There’s no way that he’s about to say what I think he’s about to say. And then he said it: They had found a malignant tumor in my colon. My dad’s an ob-gyn. I’m familiar with the way doctors talk. I knew immediately that this was real.

Sara was great. She took care of everything. She called my parents right away. I’m from Winter Haven, Florida, and they got in their car right then and drove two hours down to Sarasota. My doctor was awesome. I was surrounded by people I love.

• Thanks 1

“Mancini is undergoing his sixth chemotherapy treatment on Monday. He’s subjected to them every two weeks and they last for three days.

“There’s the usual loss of appetite and weight until Mancini again begins craving submarine sandwiches, which have become his go-to meal.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/06/orioles-selling-f16ht-t-shirts-as-latest-gesture-of-support-for-mancini.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, weams said:

I assume we will hear something in six to eight months. I guess no news is the best news,

I went through exactly what he is doing my first go around.  He's listening to doctors, which is terrible advice.  He needs to do his own research.  After the chemo treatment, he will get scan about 3-6 months after it is finished.  And if it comes back, in my case it did.  The doctors will offer the same course of treatment that failed the first time.  Its a fool proof sales pitch.  If the chemo works, they look like geniuses and they will tell you they saved your life.  If it doesn't they will say you have an agressive form of cancer...more chemo.  And if you happen to die, they will blame the cancer, not the chemo. The doctors gave me 6 moths to 2 years to live, if I followed the shitty advice.  I did things differently, which  they strongly advised against and have been alive 5 years.  

• Upvote 1

I have simply failed at being a big enough fan of Trey Mancini.  The original article should not be read around others if you are uncomfortable showing emotion.  He needs everyone pulling for him...and absolutely anyone who read that article is.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, sylvester said:

I went through exactly what he is doing my first go around.  He's listening to doctors, which is terrible advice.  He needs to do his own research.  After the chemo treatment, he will get scan about 3-6 months after it is finished.  And if it comes back, in my case it did.  The doctors will offer the same course of treatment that failed the first time.  Its a fool proof sales pitch.  If the chemo works, they look like geniuses and they will tell you they saved your life.  If it doesn't they will say you have an agressive form of cancer...more chemo.  And if you happen to die, they will blame the cancer, not the chemo. The doctors gave me 6 moths to 2 years to live, if I followed the shitty advice.  I did things differently, which  they strongly advised against and have been alive 5 years.  

Sylvester, 

I am so sorry to hear that your experience with this has been so difficult.  I cannot imagine the horror of what you have gone through and the fear or lack of trust in those advising you have taken on your psyche.  I am also happy that you have beaten the odds.  I remember years ago when I was just 30, I returned home from a vacation to Hawaii on top of the world, to find my Grandmother had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer...stage IV and inoperable.  That woman was as stubborn and sweet as the day is long.  She merely protested to one of the finest in the field at the time, that it wasn't her time and she wanted another opinion.  Well, the second opinion confirmed the first and explicitly presented her with the fact that she had maybe 6 months at most and needed to get her affairs in order.  She refused, and asked for surgery and was told she couldn't survive it.  She said "if it's my time, I'm ready and if it's not, and I don't think it is, I need this surgery."  The Doctor laughed at her resolve and did the surgery, which she survived and lived for over 5 more years before she fell and injured her brain and did not recover.  

The point is, I wish you were not so harsh on the doctors.  I think there are doctors that are bad people and I think like everywhere else the bad ones should be called out.  But I also think in general, they speak to the generalities of outcome not the specifics.  You and my grandmother both disputed the news.  But her energy everyday was positive  And it wasn't us who held her up, it was her...she didn't let us get down.      As I read the article I was reminded of my grandmother and how hard it is to remain upbeat in the face of so much difficulty.  I don't know you but I am humbled by your strength and perseverance. But I would, if I could be so bold, encourage you to see a brighter side.  I thank you for sharing.  Cancer touches all of us and it is a horrendous disease.  Again, I congratulate you on beating the odds and encourage you to endeavor to continue whipping them.  Finally, in the words of a wise person I have not had the pleasure of meeting, keep fighting. "You have not come this far to only come this far!"  Again, Sylvester, THANK YOU for sharing.

• Upvote 1

Wow... that put a lump in my throat.  Glad to see this quote:  "Brooks Robinson called me when I was in the hospital to let me know he was thinking of me and to ask if I needed anything. That was incredible — he’s just an absolute legend in Baltimore."  

I'm not crying.  You're crying!  

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, foxfield said:

Sylvester, 

I am so sorry to hear that your experience with this has been so difficult.  I cannot imagine the horror of what you have gone through and the fear or lack of trust in those advising you have taken on your psyche.  I am also happy that you have beaten the odds.  I remember years ago when I was just 30, I returned home from a vacation to Hawaii on top of the world, to find my Grandmother had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer...stage IV and inoperable.  That woman was as stubborn and sweet as the day is long.  She merely protested to one of the finest in the field at the time, that it wasn't her time and she wanted another opinion.  Well, the second opinion confirmed the first and explicitly presented her with the fact that she had maybe 6 months at most and needed to get her affairs in order.  She refused, and asked for surgery and was told she couldn't survive it.  She said "if it's my time, I'm ready and if it's not, and I don't think it is, I need this surgery."  The Doctor laughed at her resolve and did the surgery, which she survived and lived for over 5 more years before she fell and injured her brain and did not recover.  

The point is, I wish you were not so harsh on the doctors.  I think there are doctors that are bad people and I think like everywhere else the bad ones should be called out.  But I also think in general, they speak to the generalities of outcome not the specifics.  You and my grandmother both disputed the news.  But her energy everyday was positive  And it wasn't us who held her up, it was her...she didn't let us get down.      As I read the article I was reminded of my grandmother and how hard it is to remain upbeat in the face of so much difficulty.  I don't know you but I am humbled by your strength and perseverance. But I would, if I could be so bold, encourage you to see a brighter side.  I thank you for sharing.  Cancer touches all of us and it is a horrendous disease.  Again, I congratulate you on beating the odds and encourage you to endeavor to continue whipping them.  Finally, in the words of a wise person I have not had the pleasure of meeting, keep fighting. "You have not come this far to only come this far!"  Again, Sylvester, THANK YOU for sharing.

Some hints for anyone that goes thought it.  

1.  It is your decision, not the doctors.  The doctors are trying to make money and don't have your best intent at heart.  I went to the top Cancer centers in the country.  All of them.  They are frauds. If they don't offer a treatment, they say it doesn't work.  I went to two top hospitals in the country and said I was thinking about Strerotactic radio surgery. Do they offer it?  Both hospitals flat out said it's gimmick and doesn't work.  I went back to the same hospitals two years later to look for a surgeon to do a procedure and both come right out and said no doctor in the country will touch you and they have a great form of treatment called Stereotactic radio surgery.  I looked them right in the face andsiad, do you not reminder me two years ago and said that doesn't work.  I got up and left the offic and called them murderers.

2.  No matter how much pain that you are in, never complain to love ones. It will only get them depressed and in turn you get depressed.  Always think that a 4 or 5 year old kid is going through the same treatment that you are,  that 4 or 5 year old is not complaining and is dealing with it so can you.

3.  Never get too high with good news or too low with bad news.  You are going to get good news in that the cancer is gone, it can come back.  So don't think that it cannot.  And when bad news comes, don't get sad.  You beat it once twice or however many times.  You can do it again.  It's been done before.  

• Upvote 1