MLB dot com: Hanser Alberto is Orioles biggest surprise

BohKnowsBmore

11 minutes ago, joelala said:

My brother, who is very knowledgeable about the team and works in the sports journalism industry, seems to think there’s no way we re-sign Alberto. Says he won’t be a part of our next winning team. I disagreed with him strongly. Thoughts?

I'm not interested in signing 30+ middle infielders to long term deals.

I'm not sure if he's the biggest surprise.  The guy hit .305 last year.  

But he can be a high average hitter, for sure.  I'd like to see more separation between the batting average and the on base percentage, too.

And it'll be blasphemous to say this (I don't care, what you think I'm saying it anyway) but the batting style reminds me of Tony Gwynn.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it is fair to say Alberto has reached Nugget status. Say what you will about his approach, he gets results. I wonder what would happen if he were instructed to take all the way until he has at least a strike. 

I'll put him on the list!

55 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Is being in the realm of league average for 1 full season and a handful of games all it takes for nugget status? Personally, I’d like to see more than that before I think anyone is a solid long term solution. He has an extremely volatile skillset and it’s one that is unlikely to produce consistent value. 

League average is a pretty high bar. I think it is pretty tough to find guys who are available for free that are as good or better than half of the MLB player universe. A roster full of "league average" gets you to 81 wins. Alberto put up 2.9 WAR last year, which is actually a tick above league average, and he is on track for better this year (relative to the short season). Maybe not quite Steve Pearce value but he is in Brad Brach territory and I would call Brach a Nugget. 

Alberto has been very good so far.  We will have to see how good, but no surprise IMO that he is putting in better results as he nears peak production age.  Same for Ruiz - have been a big fan of that acquisition since it happened.  It would not surprise me if Ruiz is close to league average or middle third as a 3B for a year or two.  Not bad for two guys pretty much picked out of thin air - maybe the moves offset the complete miss on ME dealing away Yaz.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

League average is a pretty high bar. I think it is pretty tough to find guys who are available for free that are as good or better than half of the MLB player universe. A roster full of "league average" gets you to 81 wins. Alberto put up 2.9 WAR last year, which is actually a tick above league average, and he is on track for better this year (relative to the short season). Maybe not quite Steve Pearce value but he is in Brad Brach territory and I would call Brach a Nugget. 

Fangraphs has him at 1.9 last year which is where I got league averagish from. Sure he’s been valuable relative to cost but I’m certainly not planning my future around a guy who was a below average offensive player even in a year he hit .305. High average, slap hitters who don’t walk are simply too volatile and too low ceiling. He’s fine, but I’m not penciling in Hanser Alberto as a long term everyday player on the next contending Orioles team. 

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Fangraphs has him at 1.9 last year which is where I got league averagish from. Sure he’s been valuable relative to cost but I’m certainly not planning my future around a guy who was a below average offensive player even in a year he hit .305. High average, slap hitters who don’t walk are simply too volatile and too low ceiling. He’s fine, but I’m not penciling in Hanser Alberto as a long term everyday player on the next contending Orioles team. 

Nobody said to plan the future around Alberto. Statement was that he is a Nugget. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Nobody said to plan the future around Alberto. Statement was that he is a Nugget. 

3 hours ago, joelala said:

My brother, who is very knowledgeable about the team and works in the sports journalism industry, seems to think there’s no way we re-sign Alberto. Says he won’t be a part of our next winning team. I disagreed with him strongly.

That's kinda saying it.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not interested in signing 30+ middle infielders to long term deals.

What does that have to do with Alberto?   He’s 27 and will be a free agent after the 2022 season, at which point he’ll be 29 (30 by the time his first FA season begins).    You could sign him to a 4-year deal now and maybe an option year and that wouldn’t look too bad.    I would not advocate signing him to a 4 year deal once he reaches FA, however.   

To be clear, I’m not at all ready to lock him up — but not because I’m worried about his age.   I just don’t want to overreact to his hot start.