Where's Pedro Severino fit in the future?

Moose Milligan

26 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Severino is 11th of 71 catcher in sprint speed, Sisco is 52nd, Holaday is 32nd.

Backup catchers are valued for defense only because there aren't 60+ Major league players who can adequately catch while also being good hitters, in fact there are arguably fewer than 30.

There is nothing inherently more valuable in having a backup catcher that can't hit over a backup catcher who can.

That’s what I thought, in which case, when AR is ready, neither of them would be a proper backup, so we either get a defense-first catcher or keep Severino for his bat.

31 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Plus if the team remains in playoff contention I think Adley gets a cup of coffee this year and is up next year in may anyway.

Don't think that will happen.

Every day a player is on the roster this year they accrue 2.7 days of service time. If Adley were to be up for the last 8 days of the season, it would require him to be down for an additional three weeks next year to maneuver his service time. Plus they would have to carry him on the 40-man roster earlier than they otherwise would.

So if Adley were up for 8 days at the end of the season, he couldn't come up until mid-May lest he accrue a full year of service time by the end of 2021, or late-June, lest he qualify as a Super 2 after 2023.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Every day a player is on the roster this year they accrue 2.7 days of service time. If Adley were to be up for the last 8 days of the season, it would require him to be down for an additional three weeks next year to maneuver his service time. Plus they would have to carry him on the 40-man roster earlier than they otherwise would.

So if Adley were up for 8 days at the end of the season, he couldn't come up until mid-May lest he accrue a full year of service time by the end of 2021, or late-June, lest he qualify as a Super 2 after 2023.

Keeping him down next year is not an issue at all. The issue would be using the 40 man spot. 

You could  justify using him now and still justify sending him back to the minors next year. 

There's value in keeping all three.  

I know that we wanted to refrain from dumping a full time catching workload on Rutch to keep him from wearing out.  Having two other catchers lets us DH him far more often if needed, we could even go as far as a 100/30ish/30ish game split between the three if we wanted.

Sisco also brings a left-handed DH bat for days when Rutch is catching and you need that, and could work himself into some first base back up duties with some practice.  

And if circumstances change and it becomes obvious that we should no longer be carrying three catchers, you can trade the extra guy.  These are the kinds of problems you want to have, and I'm thrilled that we are approaching that "dealing with roster issues and it's awesome" point.

2 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I know that we wanted to refrain from dumping a full time catching workload on Rutch to keep him from wearing out.  Having two other catchers lets us DH him far more often if needed, we could even go as far as a 100/30ish/30ish game split between the three if we wanted.

Sisco also brings a left-handed DH bat for days when Rutch is catching and you need that, and could work himself into some first base back up duties with some practice.  

And if circumstances change and it becomes obvious that we should no longer be carrying three catchers, you can trade the extra guy.  These are the kinds of problems you want to have, and I'm thrilled that we are approaching that "dealing with roster issues and it's awesome" point.

I’m unsure that Sisco has any trade value. His defense is not good. That’s OK if he’s hitting really well, but his hitting has declined enough that with his track record on offense, no team would trade anything meaningful for him.

30 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I just want to go on record that I think "Rutch" is a terrible nickname for him and I plead with OH to not let this catch on.

If we want to use "Rutsch" as shorthand - fine. Still don't like it, though.

53 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah true. I was just going off something Elias said earlier about it being a possibility. 

If it was me, I'd call him up and sign him to an extension immediately and forget about service time games.

5 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I just want to go on record that I think "Rutch" is a terrible nickname for him and I plead with OH to not let this catch on.

If we want to use "Rutsch" as shorthand - fine. Still don't like it, though.

I'd be good with "Ad", as it puts me of a mind of Ad Liska.  Y'all remember Ad Liska, right?