Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

I said at the time the Gausman trade was terrible and it still is.   Been saying for along time the Gausman was better than people thought.  Poor defense and McDowell was a terrible pitching coach.  I loved Buck but one thing he could not do was pick a good pitching coach. Wallace was good but I think Dan was the connection that got him to Baltimore.   

I don't root against any of the O's that have left.  It was a good run while it lasted but the energy was not there any more.

I'm still disgusted by the totally unnecessary trade of Gausman at that time. I don't think we even sold "low"... We just made a desperate deal from a position of weakness. It's just embarrassing to even think about. 

I wish the AngelBros would have held off on the Gausman trade at least. 

The other trades, no worries. They look decent so far. 

But KG? That was plain stupid. I hope he has a killer career, personally. I always loved watching him pitch when he was on. And he seemed like a genuinely neat kid. 

Ah well. At least we kept Bundy. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Christian Walker breaks a 6-6 tie in the ninth inning and Diamondbacks beat the Braves 9-6.

Just remember Walker was just another prospect who couldn’t hit in Norfolk. He was Mancini before Mancini. We actually played Walker a whole season in LF in Norfolk. 

Moral of the story... how different we could be with Walker/Mancini vs Davis/Trumbo. No No No ... remember this when we need a reason why DJ Stewart should get a legit shot up here. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just remember Walker was just another prospect who couldn’t hit in Norfolk. He was Mancini before Mancini.

Heck, he was Mancini during Mancini.  In 2016, Mancini posted a .775 OPS at Norfolk, Walker .757.   Walker also posted .763 and .748 at Norfolk in 2014-15.   

11 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I'm still disgusted by the totally unnecessary trade of Gausman at that time. I don't think we even sold "low"... We just made a desperate deal from a position of weakness. It's just embarrassing to even think about. 

I wish the AngelBros would have held off on the Gausman trade at least. 

The other trades, no worries. They look decent so far. 

But KG? That was plain stupid. I hope he has a killer career, personally. I always loved watching him pitch when he was on. And he seemed like a genuinely neat kid. 

Ah well. At least we kept Bundy. 

Here, here. That was a very "businessy move". Salary dump. Which just stinks because if KG was producing this year, we could have gotten way more. He's been pretty healthy his whole career too. Consistent velocity. Just needed to iron out those secondaries. But even then he still did OK. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

Norfolk sucks, man. They should really figure out some other kind of option for AAA. 

I don’t agree at all.    It’s relatively close by, and I’ve heard the facility is very nice.    It’s pitcher friendly; so what?     It’s not like an intelligent person is incapable of understanding that a .750 OPS in Norfolk might be .810 somewhere else.    I’m pretty sure Elias and Mejdal are smart enough to figure out how performance at Norfolk will translate elsewhere.   

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t agree at all.    It’s relatively close by, and I’ve heard the facility is very nice.    It’s pitcher friendly; so what?     It’s not like an intelligent person is incapable of understanding that a .750 OPS in Norfolk might be .810 somewhere else.    I’m pretty sure Elias and Mejdal are smart enough to figure out how performance at Norfolk will translate elsewhere.   

Haha alright fair enough. Although it being pitcher friendly doesn't seem to help us win many games there. For some reason I thought the facility was not great, also, so look - it wouldn't be the first time I'm talking out of my butt and it won't be the last! 

Here’s an article from a few days ago about the challenges of playing in Harbor Park:   https://www.google.com/amp/s/pilotonline.com/sports/baseball/norfolk-tides/article_354dd358-5ef8-11e9-9646-f705c0a9f34b.amp.html

And here’s a review of the facility from Stadium Journey.   https://stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/harbor-park-s277

And if you really want all the details of the fan experience, check this out:   https://www.google.com/amp/s/mlblogstheballparkguide.wordpress.com/2018/06/22/norfolk-tides-may-29-2018/amp/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The best and worst story of the '86 Mets was how Gooden missed the ticker-tape victory parade in NYC because he was passed out in a drug dealer's apartment.  Or was that Strawberry?  

Oh, it was Gooden.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/7122534/dwight-gooden-missed-new-york-mets-1986-parade-doing-drugs 

• Upvote 1