SANTANDER is a super two

weams

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In your mind.   I will be very surprised if he’s dealt.   

There’s a good chance his value will never be higher than it is this off season. Considering Santander is likely not a piece you build around and Elias has shown a penchant to trade/release players even when it’s unpopular I think there is a chance he’s dealt. If I had to guess then I think it happens at the trade deadline or next off season but it certainly wouldn’t be surprising to me to see him traded now. It’s not like the roster isn’t overflowing with outfielders anyways. 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

There’s a good chance his value will never be higher than it is this off season. Considering Santander is likely not a piece you build around and Elias has shown a penchant to trade/release players even when it’s unpopular I think there is a chance he’s dealt. If I had to guess then I think it happens at the trade deadline or next off season but it certainly wouldn’t be surprising to me to see him traded now. It’s not like the roster isn’t overflowing with outfielders anyways. 

Let me ask you, who among the current Orioles are a piece you build around? Just trying to understand the type of player you think will be around?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t mean this offseason..but I would be surprised if he is on the team by Aug 2022.

This makes him more expensive, which is even more incentive for them to deal him.

I can’t deny that being a Super 2 means he’ll be more expensive than if he wasn’t.   But there really was no doubt he’d be a Super 2 coming into this season.    

I think there’s a decent chance Santander is gone by August 2022, but I wouldn’t say it’s a certainty.    Lots of things will happen between now and then that will affect that.  In addition to Santander’s play and his health, the development of Diaz and Kjerstad and the competitive position of the team will be determinants.  

• Upvote 1

Doesn’t this just mean the Os have control over him for an extra year?

And his cost will be dependent on his performance? Seems to me it would make him more valuable, but only if he continues to improve,  which makes it LESS desirable to move him now because we’d be selling low.

I was thinking his peak would be during his second year of arbitration. 2021 is his last Pre-Arb year, so deadline 2022 might be the best time?

And I am confident he will be part of our next good team but that shouldn’t have any bearing on whether or not to trade him.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Making him more likely to be dealt.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

In your mind.   I will be very surprised if he’s dealt.   

He's at the top of my (mildly informed) list. We have a logjam with even more OF help coming, and besides maybe Trey he's the most valuable in trade.

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

And his cost will be dependent on his performance? Seems to me it would make him more valuable, but only if he continues to improve,  which makes it LESS desirable to move him now because we’d be selling low.

I was thinking his peak would be during his second year of arbitration. 2021 is his last Pre-Arb year, so deadline 2022 might be the best time?

And I am confident he will be part of our next good team but that shouldn’t have any bearing on whether or not to trade him.

Not necessarily. Even if he sucks he will get a small raise, and he's not going to suck. He's going to get significant raises every year and now this is one more year.

The team could sign him to a long term, team friendly deal... NOW would be the time. For "Tony" a bird in the hand...

1 hour ago, Philip said:

No, they don’t control him for an extra year.  It just means he gets expensive earlier.