The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

9 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Why the hell would Hyde bring in Voth in a one run game? Part of the blame rests with Elias for not DFA'ing Voth already, but Hyde continues to make terrible decisions.

Consider me the first official member of the Fire Hyde Club. I'll be raging against him for at least another year until he gets fired.

I don't like seeing Voth in high leverage situations but there's almost literally no one else to throw today. 

Voth has looked so bad so far this year. It's hard to not lean toward that 'he is regressing to who he was with before his time with the O's' norm but maybe he's not right physically right now? 

Right now they have no Tate or Givens. Both of those guys are going to push someone like Voth off of the team probably when they return. Right now, they just don't have anyone else to throw out there today. 

Maybe McKenna can get in some work on the bump?

LOL I kid I kid 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m wondering if this was a, show me you belong here or you are gone type thing for Voth? 

I do agree it’s odd to bring him in a game in what is a higher leverage situation.  

I said something similar in the game thread.  I think he's on the chopping block because they've got to bring someone else up for this weekend almost no matter what.  Either Voth eats 3-4 innings so guys can rest, or he's gone.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who would you like to have seen?  Baumann, Akin, Perez and Gillaspie all pitched yesterday.  We still had 5 innings left to cover.  

Bringing Voth into a winnable game at this point is an indefensible strategic decision. As bad as Irvin looked, Hyde would have been better off bringing him back out for the 5th if the only option was Voth. 

On 4/11/2023 at 7:52 PM, Brooks The Great said:

Hyde is the type of guy to pull a catastrophic Ubaldo-instead-of-Britton move in a big game. 

Well, it wasn't a big game (except IMO it was), but Hyde passed your Ubaldo/Britton test this time, using his closer, Bautista, for a shutdown ninth inning in a tie game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

Bringing Voth into a winnable game at this point is an indefensible strategic decision. As bad as Irvin looked, Hyde would have been better off bringing him back out for the 5th if the only option was Voth. 

Voth has been better than Irvin. 

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

My biggest gripe with Hyde today was not pinch running McKenna for Vavra in the 8th.  It's a no brainer.   Faster baserunner representing the winning run on 3rd, and a better right fielder for the top of the 9th.

Has Hyde ever displayed that level of detail with roster management and strategy?

Maybe McKenna is in the doghouse after yesterday?

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

My biggest gripe with Hyde today was not pinch running McKenna for Vavra in the 8th.  It's a no brainer.   Faster baserunner representing the winning run on 3rd, and a better right fielder for the top of the 9th.

You’re right except there’s always the chance that McKenna goes halfway on that fly.  Just kidding, I think.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, now said:

Well, it wasn't a big game (except IMO it was), but Hyde passed your Ubaldo/Britton test this time, using his closer, Bautista, for a shutdown ninth inning in a tie game. 

Nah, it has to be a road game for it to be a true test. Once it goes to the ninth tied the save rule is moot for the home team. 

11 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Has Hyde ever displayed that level of detail with roster management and strategy?

Maybe McKenna is in the doghouse after yesterday?

The other night he went right-left-right-left using 4 different guys in the DH spot as Oakland went from a lefty starter to a righty reliever to a lefty reliever to a righty reliever.   That seems to be to be a pretty high level of detail!

• Upvote 1