Play by Play Announcers

SteveA

I like Scott Garceau talking sports.  I don't like him calling sports.  He's good at banter, but when banter extends through 2-3-4 pitches with just a note as to the pitch call while the banter continues, that's something I don't like.  It often has nothing to do with the either the batter or pitcher either.  Like Jim Palmer talking about a guy who he was pitching against in 1947 in Jr High League...

I love it when the announcers are having fun, but it's about the call of the game first and then the ability to color it with the stories or jokes or whatever.  These guys have it backwards.

I'm going to give the radio call a try.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I like Scott Garceau talking sports.  I don't like him calling sports.  He's good at banter, but when banter extends through 2-3-4 pitches with just a note as to the pitch call while the banter continues, that's something I don't like.  It often has nothing to do with the either the batter or pitcher either.  Like Jim Palmer talking about a guy who he was pitching against in 1947 in Jr High League...

I love it when the announcers are having fun, but it's about the call of the game first and then the ability to color it with the stories or jokes or whatever.  These guys have it backwards.

I'm going to give the radio call a try.

I am fine with TV announcers getting into anecdotes etc.   I have eyes and can see what’s happening in the game.   That’s why it didn’t bother me much when Thorne would call a breaking pitch a fastball or vice versa, or misdescribe the location of a pitch.   It’s a much bigger problem when the radio guys forget to describe what’s happening, or do it inaccurately (e.g., Fred Manfra’s chronic inability to judge fly balls).

I do think announcers have to focus on the game the majority of the time, but I think all the O’s announcers are OK at that.   Most of the time if they’re telling stories, they relate to the game action in some way or are illustrating a relevant point.  Or, they are discussing something else happening around baseball or the Orioles that is of interest.   

47 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Brett Hollander has really impressed me so far because I thought he was hired to more handle the pregame and postgame shows. 

i think both Hollander and Arnold have been pretty solid on the radio the few times I've heard them. Brown and Arnold can be a good listen as well.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, SteveA said:

I had not been too heavy into bashing the announcers.  Wanted to give them a chance.

But after last night, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

There isn't a more exciting way for a baseball game to end than with the tie run being thrown out at the plate for the last out.   

And Scott Garceau's bland, low key description last night was so weak.   Imagine how much more exiting it would have been with Joe Angel, Gary Thorne, or Jon Miller calling it.   Or Chuck Thompson or Bill O'Donnell. Even some announcers we have had who weren't the most technically competent in the world, like Fred Manfra or Tom Marr, would have made it far more exciting.   I almost felt I got cheated out of getting full enjoyment out of the moment because Garceau was so blase.   I thought it was as bad as it could get.

But I was wrong.  Very wrong.   This morning while driving into work, 105.7 replayed the radio call of the final play by Melanie Newman.   It was every bit as bland and it was hard to follow what happened too.   It was absolutely terrible, completely unexciting and didn't convey a good mental image of what was happening.   I was surprised that 105.7 wasn't too embarrassed to run that replay at all.   If we pull a 1989 and have a season good enough to make a highlight video of, they will have to figure out a way to dub an actual announcer over either Garceau or Newman to include the finish to this game.   Or use the Yankee broadcast.    I'm no fan of John Sterling but I'm sure he did a good job conveying what happened on the play and the excitement of the moment.

She is the worst play by play announcer I have ever heard in my 50 years of listening to baseball

On the other hand she has created a fun investigation game.  I try to figure out what happened from her description and than find the video to see how close I guessed. It's always a surprise to see the actual play.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Remember when somebody on here said that Kevin Brown was a bad PBP guy?

I like him more and more.  He’s grown into the job nicely.   And he’s excellent at drawing the color man into the conversation and having an actual discussion. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like him more and more.  He’s grown into the job nicely.   And he’s excellent at drawing the color man into the conversation and having an actual discussion. 

I seek him out as I tune in.  If he's not doing TV, I hope he's doing radio.  If he's not doing either, I hope for Geoff Arnold.  

Third choice is the opposing team's broadcast.