Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Kremer pitched as well as he has in a while too.  But they didn’t have him throw a lot of pitches even though things were going well.  

Maybe better to have him exit an outing with a good taste in his mouth and build back from there.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe better to have him exit an outing with a good taste in his mouth and build back from there.   

Yea maybe..I just wonder if it’s the beginning of them making him a reliever.

He had thrown 50 or so pitches and while it’s nice to end on a high note, it also may tell him that they don’t have confidence in him to do any better and if that’s the case, why continue to start him unless you are thinking of him as an opener??

I can see it either way..just something to watch for and how they handle things with him going forward.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He had thrown 50 or so pitches and while it’s nice to end on a high note, it also may tell him that they don’t have confidence in him to do any better and if that’s the case, why continue to start him unless you are thinking of him as an opener??

I can see it either way..just something to watch for and how they handle things with him going forward.

They have to come up with a plan b for Kremer, Lowther and Wells at a minimum. Moving to reliever makes sense. So does shorter stints just to establish themselves with an eventual move back to starter. I like Kremer more out of the pen anyway, but I think he can still go either way.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

They have to come up with a plan b for Kremer, Lowther and Wells at a minimum. Moving to reliever makes sense. So does shorter stints just to establish themselves with an eventual move back to starter. I like Kremer more out of the pen anyway, but I think he can still go either way.

I agree on Kremer.  Akin too.  Lowther really never got a chance and he's been injured.  Wells too although I didn't really like what I saw.  Wells I think is a long relief guy at best.  

We've seen Akin's stuff play up in short outings before.  Remains to be seen for Kremer. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, Sports Guy said:

A good outing now is considered 4 IP with 7 baserunners?   6 hits and a HB.    He needs to regain some confidence and get back on track.  Baby steps.   The 0 walks was a good sign.   He needs to throw strikes.  That's step 1.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A good outing now is considered 4 IP with 7 baserunners?   6 hits and a HB.    He needs to regain some confidence and get back on track.  Baby steps.   The 0 walks was a good sign.   He needs to throw strikes.  That's step 1.

The good outing aspect was the ball to strike ratio, lack of walks, no homers.   He has been plagued a lot by those things.

Its not some great outing but it’s not bad and I wish they had let him pitch more since he had only throw 50ish pitches through 4 innings.

The hits don’t really matter to me unless they were tattooing the ball all over the field.  He could have had bad luck with bloops, seeing eye singles, etc…

On 8/12/2021 at 10:13 AM, LookinUp said:

I don't understand why everyone wants to rush Kremer to a relief role. We want to claim undervalued guys on waivers and fix them and turn them into starters, but we're not willing to work with one of our own top prospects? Let's give it some time. Clearly he got out of whack this year, but he doesn't have a history of being this bad. 

Put it this way, he's absolutely a guy a smart team would look to acquire and fix. Let's just do that ourselves. I'm not in any rush to turn him into a reliever, nor do I think that fixes any of his issues. 

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't understand why everyone wants to rush Kremer to a relief role. We want to claim undervalued guys on waivers and fix them and turn them into starters, but we're not willing to work with one of our own top prospects? Let's give it some time. Clearly he got out of whack this year, but he doesn't have a history of being this bad. 

Put it this way, he's absolutely a guy a smart team would look to acquire and fix. Let's just do that ourselves. I'm not in any rush to turn him into a reliever, nor do I think that fixes any of his issues. 

It may fix his issues if those issues are trying to pace himself and not attacking hitters because he's pacing himself and not confident in attacking those hitters.   Just a theory.   That's the reason some failed starters become good relievers.

Also from watching him last year, I got the feeling he didn't have much of a changeup so essentially he's a two pitch pitcher although if you want to say he's got a fastball, a cut fastball, and a breaking pitch I guess you could say 3 pitches but I don't think so.   Akin at least showed a pretty good changeup last year.