2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Getting this back on subject, by my calculations, the Orioles did not spend just $64,400 of there allotted cap money. The only question is whether one of the 11-20 rounders outside of Craig got more than $125K since we have numbers in all picks 1-10.

Overall it appeared Elias had a plan all along to get the guys he wanted with a mixture of overslot and underslots. When you come within 100K of your bonus allotment you did a pretty good job IMHO.

By my calculations, they've spent all but $196k of their allotment. I was under the impression Craig, though he signed for $250k, only counts for $125k. 

Anyway, I've been tracking. Here's what I have so far. 98.34% of the bonus pool, pending what they give Lloyd. 

image.png

How long will it be before we start to see some of new draft picks placed with an affiliate?  Who can we expect to see in Delmarva or even Frederick?

With no Advanced Short Season team this year, it will be interesting to see if guys are bumped up to Delmarva or higher more quickly than normal.  I'm excited to see what Cowser, Norby and others can do in an extended look this year with a full season affiliate. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

How long will it be before we start to see some of new draft picks placed with an affiliate?  Who can we expect to see in Delmarva or even Frederick?

With no Advanced Short Season team this year, it will be interesting to see if guys are bumped up to Delmarva or higher more quickly than normal.  I'm excited to see what Cowser, Norby and others can do in an extended look this year with a full season affiliate. 

Elias has indicated nobody will play at an affiliate unless they’ve spent a little time in the FCL first.   I think the only two who are certain to go to an affiliate are Cowser and Norby.   

I believe I read in the offseason that one of the reasons short season A was eliminated is that some GM’s (Elias probably included) felt that a lot of players would be better off just working at a complex and getting indoctrinated into the team’s systems and methods, rather than rushing off to play games.   So I really don’t think we’ll see many of these guys that quickly, even in the FCL.

1 hour ago, brvn52 said:

By my calculations, they've spent all but $196k of their allotment. I was under the impression Craig, though he signed for $250k, only counts for $125k. 

Anyway, I've been tracking. Here's what I have so far. 98.34% of the bonus pool, pending what they give Lloyd. 

image.png

As I understand it, anything above $125K counts towards the cap so yes, Craig counted for 125K against the cap. I'll relook at the math once again to see if I missed something though.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Elias has indicated nobody will play at an affiliate unless they’ve spent a little time in the FCL first.   I think the only two who are certain to go to an affiliate are Cowser and Norby.   

I believe I read in the offseason that one of the reasons short season A was eliminated is that some GM’s (Elias probably included) felt that a lot of players would be better off just working at a complex and getting indoctrinated into the team’s systems and methods, rather than rushing off to play games.   So I really don’t think we’ll see many of these guys that quickly, even in the FCL.

Matt Blood talked about this today:

After Sunday’s game, during my postgame “Extra Innings” radio show on 105.7 The Fan, O’s director of player development Matt Blood joined me to discuss getting the draft picks - including Cowser and Norby - started on their pro careers.

“Yeah, a couple of great kids,” Blood said during the radio interview. “Have spent a lot of time with both of them. Really excited about what they bring on and off the field. I think they are fantastic fits for us makeup-wise. They’ll go down to Florida and they need to build up and remember what game speed is like.

“I am hoping they’ll start to see some game action in 10-ish days. But, you know, it’s hard to put a number on things because you don’t know what will happen in how their bodies are going to feel and what could change on a day-to-day basis.”

The first pro season for the draft picks will just continue the process of the players getting to know their new coaches and teammates and vice versa.

“We’re excited about these guys and just about all of them are down in Florida at our spring training facility,” said Blood, speaking of all the draft picks. “They will go through sort of an intake process, (we’ll) get a feel for where they are physically, how much playing they have done recently and what kind of work they’ve been doing.

“So our medical and strength and conditioning staff will do some work with them there and we’ll start to ease them out onto the field and really onboard and educate them into our processes, our values, and kind of see where they are baseball-wise. Then we’ll get them out onto teams.

“The FCL will be a great place for them to get some live at-bats and get their legs underneath them. Get a feel for the speed of the game again, they haven’t played in a while. And they’ll all get games down there before we send them up to Delmarva.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/07/ryan-mckennas-impact-on-a-win-plus-getting-the-draft-picks-going.html

Yup, this is why I was advocating for us NOT to take him.  Sure, he may prove me wrong and end up being a #1 starter for years in the MLB.  But his injury issues and velocity dips this year just throws up too many red flags for me to spend the #5 pick on him.  I wish him the best, but I'm very glad we went a different direction.

The Mets really screwed up by not taking a high school player at the end that they could throw money at in case Rocker didn't sign. They have already signed the rest of their draft class and now have $878,600 in savings that was going to go to Rocker (if Rocker doesn't sign, his slot value is lost).

If they don't sign Rocker (or if they sign him for slot or less), I wonder if they can/will offer an undrafted high school player $1M.

Similarly, whether the Orioles could do the same for $320K (their leftover pool amount + 120K).

Perhaps a player who somehow loses academic eligibility but was draft eligible and was undrafted.

Is anyone else wondering why we haven’t signed our 14th round pick, Daniel Lloyd, yet?  We have up to $319,600 to spend on him, including the $194,600 remaining of pool money on top of the $125k you can spend on each pick after the 10th round.  Unless he failed his physical or his asking price changed after we picked him, I don’t understand why he hasn’t been signed yet.  Hopefully it still gets done, but the fact that it hasn’t been announced yet makes me think something happened unexpectedly.