Some 2022 MLB Mock Drafts are starting to roll in. Brooks Lee # 1 ?

The more I read about Brook Lee - I worry he's another Austin Martin (no definitive position and average hitting). He's only worth the 1st pick if he stays at SS (with decent defense) or hits for power at 3rd/2nd.

My concerns:

He hit 10 hrs his junior year, less power than Martin at the same age and his defense has been considered average at best. Also, he's not super athletic or has a rocket arm.

Edited by Chaka Garcia
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Another power hitting CoF with some chance to stick in CF. 

I'd be more bullish if this profile came with a true CF. As it is, the CoF prospect scene in Baltimore is already kind of loaded.

Agreed.  Drew Jones is the only true CF I would consider at 1:1.

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I am not sure he is a guaranteed CF.  Jones really intrigues me especially given the recent success of the scion of so many major leaguers.  

Given what I've seen about the arm and the footspeed I don't see why he wouldn't be suited to center.  I've heard it said that reads are actually easier in center so with his raw tools he'd seem natural out there.

To me the issue with Green is the K rate.

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Given what I've seen about the arm and the footspeed I don't see why he wouldn't be suited to center.  I've heard it said that reads are actually easier in center so with his raw tools he'd seem natural out there.

To me the issue with Green is the K rate.

Definitely my biggest concern with him is K rate, but I had gotten the impression that he is more likely to move off of CF based on his profile as an athlete first.  I could definitely be wrong though.  As it stands now, I would take Jones as the more projectable less K prone guy, but there is a lot of baseball to be played.

Obviously this upcoming Spring Season will make all the difference...

I think Elias has shown his tendency to prefer polished college hitters.

That would put Brooks Lee, Carter Young, Jace Jung, and Jacob Berry in play.

Then there are the 4 extremely high upside HS guys:

Dylan Lesko, Elijah Green, Termarr Johnson, Druw Jones Jr.

We'll need to see how these guys perform this Spring to see who's stock drops and who's rises.   Also we'll have to factor in if someone might be willing to take an underslot deal to free up money for an overslot guy.

We'll need to see:

Can Brooks Lee continue to display outstanding SS defense, hit .350 from both sides and increase upon his 10 HR total?

Can Elijah Green cut down on the strikeouts?  He has the best tools of anyone in this draft, and it's not close.  But the swing and miss issues are major cause for concern...

Lesko is the top pitcher in this draft.  But would Elias take a HS RHP with #1 overall?

Would Jones or Johnson consider an underslot deal?

If Jung or Berry light the world on fire at the plate, would they consider underslot?

I'm also very intrigued by Jacob Berry.

As a true freshman at Arizona he was unreal:

.352 17 HR OPS 1.117

He is a polished switch hitter with incredible contact and power from both sides who has a great eye and will take a walk.

He has transferred to LSU this season so it will be interesting to see what he does there.  

Unfortunately, he is defensively limited to First Base, although he was tried at 3rd base, but I'm not sure he can stick there.

Still, he might be one of the most polished hitters available and closer to the Majors than others.   And imagine him in the middle of the order hitting with Cowser, Rutschman, Mountcastle, Kjerstad (if healthy and productive).

If he agreed to underslot, maybe a great value?

29 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I'm also very intrigued by Jacob Berry.

As a true freshman at Arizona he was unreal:

.352 17 HR OPS 1.117

He is a polished switch hitter with incredible contact and power from both sides who has a great eye and will take a walk.

He has transferred to LSU this season so it will be interesting to see what he does there.  

Unfortunately, he is defensively limited to First Base, although he was tried at 3rd base, but I'm not sure he can stick there.

Still, he might be one of the most polished hitters available and closer to the Majors than others.   And imagine him in the middle of the order hitting with Cowser, Rutschman, Mountcastle, Kjerstad (if healthy and productive).

If he agreed to underslot, maybe a great value?

Sounds like LSU is going to play him at 2nd base this year.   If he can hold his own there, that would really be something!

I want stud pitchers too.   But there are only 2 studs even worth mentioning in the top 10- Dylan Lesko and Brock Porter and they are both High Schoolers.   I don't think either is in the running at 1:1.   A HS Right hander has never gone 1:1.  

Unless you want to take a chance on Kumar Rocker...   I don't....!