Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Atlanta's ESPN radio station reported that was what LA and Freeman agreed to - on the same day the Braves traded for Olson.  Like I said, his agent probably had something to do with that report.      

Considering that he actually signed with LA and it was nowhere near that amount, it’s pretty safe to say that report was incorrect. 

3 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

As @Can_of_cornpointed out, MLB contracts are 100% guaranteed, even if the guy turns into a pumpkin in year 3 of 10.

:gallden:

The present ownership group was spending that kind of money only 4 or 5 years ago and Elias has consistently said that the money would be there when our competitive window opens. I know it's fun to be all doom and gloom after the last few years, but I see no reason to think that won't be the case.

I have stated no less than probably twenty times on this board: we will likely be “rebuilding” until Peter passes for tax reasons and then the team will be sold. You can think I am making it up but heard that long ago from a reliable source and believe that’s the situation. No need to guess. My understanding is this isn’t exactly super secret info anymore. Maybe someone should just ask Elias or John Angelos to confirm. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I have stated no less than probably twenty times on this board: we will likely be “rebuilding” until Peter passes for tax reasons and then the team will be sold. You can think I am making it up but heard that long ago from a reliable source and believe that’s the situation. No need to guess. My understanding is this isn’t exactly super secret info anymore. Maybe someone should just ask Elias or John Angelos to confirm. 

I do not think we will be rebuilding much longer at all.   Whether we will spend a ton of money is a separate question.  We will certainly spend more than we are spending now.    

Interestingly, Kevin Goldstein announced on Fangraphs today that he’s leaving because he agreed to join the Twins’ front office last week.   Anyone who reads him regularly knows that he is sky-high on Correa, and of course he knows him from his time in the Astros’ front office.   I wonder if Goldstein had a hand in convincing the Twins to sign Correa, even though he wasn’t officially on board yet.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Interestingly, Kevin Goldstein announced on Fangraphs today that he’s leaving because he agreed to join the Twins’ front office last week.   Anyone who reads him regularly knows that he is sky-high on Correa, and of course he knows him from his time in the Astros’ front office.   I wonder if Goldstein had a hand in convincing the Twins to sign Correa, even though he wasn’t officially on board yet.  

Wow...he was a good read, plus had the Elias/Sig overlap.   Waiting and hoping Dave Cameron by-line returns to Fangraphs among long-time writers who have gone behind the curtain and came back out.

On Correa and Boras, I learned recently Correa's representation change from William Morris Endeavor to Boras was in part driven by MLBPA objection to WME both owning minor league teams and representing some players.    On Bora$$$, I also heard a take wondering if the Year1 opt-out might have had anything to do with WME potentially retaining some of the commissions due to the recency of the representation change had Correa taken a long-term guarantee now.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/73333/transaction-analysis-correa-doesnt-get-the-contract-he-wanted/

It was low in the BP transaction write-up, a little bit was:

Endeavor is a name you should know going forward, as it is quietly insinuating itself into the MLB landscape: in 2021 it formed subsidiary Diamond Baseball Holdings and purchased nine minor league clubs, with a goal of eventually adding 40 clubs—that would constitute one-third of the current minor league landscape. Having in the last decade bought UFC, the Professional Bull Riders, Inc., and the Miss Universe pageant, Endeavor’s massive bet on live entertainment is apparent—there were concerns in the early months of the pandemic its debts had left it overextended.

A month after Endeavor’s purchase, the MLBPA warned WME Sports its agents’ certifications were at risk if it did not divest. A week separated that warning and news Correa had joined the Boras Corporation roster. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Correa took the deal.

Boras brokered it.

Remember Boras is the employee, not the player.

Boras is the "employee?????" Damn, I thought he was Commissioner. Anyway you look at this - it smells. Hope the Twins enjoy their year with both these scum bags!!!!!

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Correa took the deal.

Boras brokered it.

Remember Boras is the employee, not the player.

He advises his client and is presumably somewhat persuasive considering his track record.  His incentives were out of alignment with his client.  Surely we all noticed how there weren’t the same kind of mystery team rumors and other staples of the Boras approach.

2 minutes ago, geschinger said:

He advises his client and is presumably somewhat persuasive considering his track record.  His incentives were out of alignment with his client.  Surely we all noticed how there weren’t the same kind of mystery team rumors and other staples of the Boras approach.

I think that Boras does not always act in a way that is fully in the best interest of his client.  That being said the client has final say and they are free to change representation at any time.

Lots of folks seem to think that Boras is somehow in charge of the player/agent dynamic.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that Boras does not always act in a way that is fully in the best interest of his client.  That being said the client has final say and they are free to change representation at any time.

Lots of folks seem to think that Boras is somehow in charge of the player/agent dynamic.

The client may not always be being presented all the info. He’s had trouble over the years with guys like Beltran, Cano Werth, etc. where they find out he wasn’t necessarily acting in their best interests.