Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

Will that mean they job his service time next year? Or do you think he starts the season in the bigs?

I think he will be penciled into the OD rotation and will get a full opportunity in spring training to put his name there in ink.   If he’s held back, it won’t be purely for service time reasons IMO.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think he will be penciled into the OD rotation and will get a full opportunity in spring training to put his name there in ink.   If he’s held back, it won’t be purely for service time reasons IMO.

Hope you’re right.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/grayson-rodriguez-progresses-to-bullpen-sessions-and-remains-intent-on-pitching-again-in-2022

“I think if I were to miss the rest of the season, it would be pretty tough, but I’m really excited to know I’ll probably have that last month to go.”

I would be absolutely shocked if he pitched for the O’s this year. But I would also be happy to be wrong!

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

It would be special if Grayson could join the O's rotation in Sept.

Perhaps he can be one of the few callups when rosters expand. (do they still expand by a few players?)

I'm also excited about the prospect of adding GRod to the mix next season, with Means as a midseason addition. The O's will add 2 promising pitchers without spending money or having to trade away players

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t be shocked.  I doubt he gets more than 2 or 3 starts but if they can do, I think he’s get a taste of the majors this year.  

I use “shocked” just because of Elias pattern of behavior. Rehabs are ultra conservative, starting at much lower levels. I just think once that timing plays out, they are not bringing him up for 2 weeks.  Now maybe if we are out of contention by that point it could change things. But I still don’t see it.

23 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I use “shocked” just because of Elias pattern of behavior. Rehabs are ultra conservative, starting at much lower levels. I just think once that timing plays out, they are not bringing him up for 2 weeks.  Now maybe if we are out of contention by that point it could change things. But I still don’t see it.

Agree with this. 

A month from today, GRod should be able to go at least 4-5 innings in a game.  

Whether or not they have do that in the majors is to be seen.  Some of that may have to do with how guys are pitching.  

I think they should do it anyway, to get him at least some level of experience but if they are still playing well and in contention, they may choose to let him eat up the innings in the minors.

The AAA season going through Sept now is a big change for the big clubs.  Giving those guys more innings is huge.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A month from today, GRod should be able to go at least 4-5 innings in a game.  

Whether or not they have do that in the majors is to be seen.  Some of that may have to do with how guys are pitching.  

I think they should do it anyway, to get him at least some level of experience but if they are still playing well and in contention, they may choose to let him eat up the innings in the minors.

The AAA season going through Sept now is a big change for the big clubs.  Giving those guys more innings is huge.

I think it could also depend how he pitches during the rehab. If he starts right out on fire and sharp, they may see no reason not to do it. 

48 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Perhaps he can be one of the few callups when rosters expand. (do they still expand by a few players?)

Yeah, rosters expand to 28 for September, (29 for doubleheaders, like the one on September 5th).

Grayson would also have to be added to the 40-man roster, but he has to be added in December anyway, so it is not a big deal.

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t be shocked.  I doubt he gets more than 2 or 3 starts but if they can do, I think he’s get a taste of the majors this year.  

I wouldn’t be shocked either, if he’s pitching well in AAA.  Obviously they will need to decide that pretty quickly.  But if there’s 15-20 games to go, we’re in the thick of the race and he’s healthy and had shaken off the rust, we could see them pull the trigger.