Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Using AAA as the cutoff, the other two legit prospects on the precipice are Ortiz and Westburg. I think Mateo's as good as gone. Certainly Odor too. 

My brain-to-keyboard skills need to improve!  I was originally thinking about other team's prospects, but you're right that the O's have a few shots on goal for the ROY related extra pick.  Ortiz/Westburg only further support that the OD decision will be performance based vs. service time based.

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

My brain-to-keyboard skills need to improve!  I was originally thinking about other team's prospects, but you're right that the O's have a few shots on goal for the ROY related extra pick.  Ortiz/Westburg only further support that the OD decision will be performance based vs. service time based.

Oh, I think there's a decent chance that someone else, perhaps Vavra with a util guy, plays 2B at the beginning of next year with both Ortiz and Westburg getting held back year. If not, I think they promote Westburg to start the season and hold Ortiz back either way unless they really think he's a ROY candidate.

Or they just keep Mateo (eventual util player), hold them both back and roll with the other guys now plus some random util player to start the season.

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Oh, I think there's a decent chance that someone else, perhaps Vavra with a util guy, plays 2B at the beginning of next year with both Ortiz and Westburg getting held back year. If not, I think they promote Westburg to start the season and hold Ortiz back either way unless they really think he's a ROY candidate.

Or they just keep Mateo (eventual util player), hold them both back and roll with the other guys now plus some random util player to start the season.

I think a team out there would be interested in Mateo as an everyday GG caliber SS.  We just have better options.  Gunnar, Westburg, and Ortiz.  

• Upvote 1

Westburg is hitting .258 in AAA and I doubt he compares to Mateo with the glove. I can see Henderson at third and Ortiz at second, but I'm a long way from wanting to move Mateo, even as bad as he looked yesterday. He's had some big hits in getting the Orioles in the race.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, seak05 said:

If the orioles think he’s ready, and there’s a spot, he’ll be on the OD roster. If both those conditions aren’t true he’ll be in triple a until he’s both ready and has a spot

that said, to many rookies and you split the vote 

So you are of the opinion that manipulating service time should take precedence over fielding the best team possible going even if the team is expected to contend?

55 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I’d keep Matteo, a cheap 3 WAR player isn’t that easy to replace. If you move him to UI he can also be an extra OF. 

And the chances of Westburg or Ortiz giving you that much WAR are very slim. 

I just don't get the concept of moving Mateo anywhere besides short. Wouldn't you always try to have your best defender at short. Why would you ever play Mateo at second or left and have an inferior defender at short. Why would any team do that. Maybe if he's 35 and lost a few steps, but he appears to be at his peak defensively.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I just don't get the concept of moving Mateo anywhere besides short. Wouldn't you always try to have your best defender at short. Why would you ever play Mateo at second or left and have an inferior defender at short. Why would any team do that. Maybe if he's 35 and lost a few steps, but he appears to be at his peak defensively.

I think you want your best overall defensive alignment, so it depends on who is getting the night off. Eg if Mullins is out, you can put Mateo in CF and keep Henderson at SS, if a Urias (or whomever your 3b is) is getting the night off then maybe Henderson slides to 3b and Mateo goes to SS. But jettisoning a guy who was a 3 WAR player this year seems silly.

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What you said was "to(o) many rookies and you split the vote".

Which makes me wonder, hence me asking the question, if you would rather have Elias manipulate service time for some of these guys?

This mostly a factual statement, not an opinion. It might be something Elias considers.  As I said think he's on the OD roster if the team thinks he's ready, and there is an everyday spot available, and he won't be if that's not the case. Seems reasonable. 

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think you want your best overall defensive alignment, so it depends on who is getting the night off. Eg if Mullins is out, you can put Mateo in CF and keep Henderson at SS, if a Urias (or whomever your 3b is) is getting the night off then maybe Henderson slides to 3b and Mateo goes to SS. But jettisoning a guy who was a 3 WAR player this year seems silly.

This mostly a factual statement, not an opinion. It might be something Elias considers.  As I said think he's on the OD roster if the team thinks he's ready, and there is an everyday spot available, and he won't be if that's not the case. Seems reasonable. 

I don't want to get rid of Mateo, unless it's an unreal offer. I just don't see a scenario where Mateo plays any position besides short. Someone else can move, not your best defender.

• Upvote 2