Robinson Chirinos 2022

Pickles

58 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yup….I don’t know how many balls he fouled off, but that was a professional AB.

It’s an understanding of the situation type at bat.  He’s not a good hitter and he will no doubt have at bats that he gives away that infuriates us but this is something vets can give teams that sometimes the over anxious younger players fail to do.

• 1 month later...

I was just looking at Chirinos’ framing numbers, and boy are they abysmal.  Fangraphs has him at -6.6 and nobody else is worse than -4.4.   Statcast has him at -7 and nobody eise is worse than -4.   No, it’s not the same list.   

Funny, I really haven’t noticed anything when watching the games.  I like his game calling and his demeanor with the pitchers when he goes to the mound or encourages them from the plate.  But those framing numbers really suck.  

• 2 months later...

Chirinos reached 10 years of MLB service time today, which means full pension and health plan.  I know he gets a lot of hate on this board for his play, but his leadership for this team this year definitely has value.  The guy spent 11 years in the minors before making his debut, and still reached 10 MLB years, that is absolutely incredible grit.  I'm super happy for him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Chirinos reached 10 years of MLB service time today, which means full pension and health plan.  I know he gets a lot of hate on this board for his play, but his leadership for this team this year definitely has value.  The guy spent 11 years in the minors before making his debut, and still reached 10 MLB years, that is absolutely incredible grit.  I'm super happy for him. 

I'm happy for him.   I'll be even happier for him when he's on another team and we have a backup with a bit better bat.

7 minutes ago, yark14 said:

You can congratulate someone without bing an asshat.  Decency is a virtue.

Sure, in person I'd congratulate him as it's a heck of an accomplishment and go on my way.  Here, on a message board, I'll both congratulate him and note that we will likely be a better team when he's a backup somewhere else.  Sorry if that offended you.  

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

He's ok for a backup catcher, but he's playing too much.  He should play at most once a week for the rest of the season, rather than once every three games.  

And yet, Adley has played the 3rd most games at C of any catcher since he was called up.  

Carchers don’t catch 6 days out of 7 in this day and age.   It’s unrealistic to think Chirinos is only going to catch one day a week at most the rest of the season.  Not gonna happen.  

22 hours ago, yark14 said:

Really good post. Glad you said this. 

• Upvote 1