Report - Teixera signs with Yankees

Skipjack33

"We would have loved to have had the player, who appealed to us because of the special circumstances of where he's from and where we are. We diverted from our plan to try to get him," Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said. "But at the end of the day, it was just too much to pay for one player. It would handicap our ability to go forward."

BALTIMORE SUN

LOL this team doesn't have a prayer or a clue.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We would have loved to have had the player, who appealed to us because of the special circumstances of where he's from and where we are. We diverted from our plan to try to get him," Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said. "But at the end of the day, it was just too much to pay for one player. It would handicap our ability to go forward."

BALTIMORE SUN

I'll remember that next time I'm at the stadium Andy... hmmm, another game ticket, a better seat, hmmm, that could handicap my ability to spend on other things.

To anyone who is furious at our insiders, and wants to call them out etc, perhaps you should question your own rationality. They state what they are told, they never guarantee that the information is 100%. Reading through 10 Tex threads though, it is very clear that people believe what they want to believe. Don't blame any insider, blame yourself for resting your hopes and dreams on what some person says on the internet. You should be a lot more upset with yourselves than anyone else.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141

Teixeira's salary also lifts the Yankees into a league of their own class; they would the four highest-paid players in Major League Baseball, including third baseman Alex Rodriguez, shortstop Derek Jeter and Sabathia.

I hardly believe these are the four best players in baseball. The Yankees continue to spend in hopes they can buy a championship. Now that Teixeira is (one of) their first basemen, it will be all the more sweet to beat them.

We'll get back to the playoffs soon enough, but it certainly won't be next year or in 2010. Patience is a virtue but right now I'm not happy or proud to be an Oriole fan, only confident that soon enough time will wash over this feeling of betrayal and I'll wonder how else we can improve our team.

My heart wishes Tex was an Oriole but the salary just wasn't realistic. $20 million over seven years seems competitive but only so much that it was certain not to land him. Andy MacPhail's negotiating tactics seem too conservative regarding free agents. I'd love to see the Sun's reaction to this, but I'm expecting more "I told you so's" than anything else.

I love Belkast's contributions, but I feel that never having read his posts in the first place would have better prepared me for this inevitable consequence. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to his posts in the future, but could he have been more far off?

Every other source in baseball reporting has cited the Orioles were not a factor. Save for an "Arn Tellem Moment" the Orioles are done and have been for many weeks.

Oh well.

Lets home they round out their FA signings with Lowe & ManRam.

Their luxury tax next year would be more that most operating payrolls.

It is pathetic; At this point, I just don't care. Blow the team now! Huff, Roberts, Mora, et al. I would prefer no one above the age of 25 on this team.

You insider bashers need to take a timeout. The information those guys provide is only what they hear and they will even tell you to take it's for what it's worth. I for one appreciate the info they have provided as this place would have become mundane without their contributions. The problem is that many of you took everything that was posted as gospel even when the insiders said many times to "take it for what it's worth."

Rant over!

I'm not bashing them, but I do think an explanation is in order. This site takes great pains to vet the insiders for a reason, so that theer isn't all sorts of crazy unreliable information going all over the place. That's what the Sun and MLB.com boards are for.

I just want to know, if there anything the insiders can offer up to explain why at one time things looked promising? I mean, we certainly did not have a "wow" offer out there..

Archived