Report - Teixera signs with Yankees

Skipjack33

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been an Oriole fan for over 30 years, but I'm done with baseball. The small market teams, with the rare exceptions like one year lightning in a bottle teams like the Marlins, Rays, and Twins, have no chance. Until a salary cap is implemented I will stick with the NFL and the NBA.

Oh, and I hope Texeira is booed out of Camden Yards when he comes to Baltimore. Too bad I don't live there, or I would join in.

To anyone who is furious at our insiders, and wants to call them out etc, perhaps you should question your own rationality. They state what they are told, they never guarantee that the information is 100%. Reading through 10 Tex threads though, it is very clear that people believe what they want to believe. Don't blame any insider, blame yourself for resting your hopes and dreams on what some person says on the internet. You should be a lot more upset with yourselves than anyone else.

Sorry, but its the waythey said it also.

Not BB though. He does it the right way all the time.

The rest----well, shame on you who believe them all the time.

Honestly, I really don't think Tex ever wanted to play here. I think we may have been a very distant third choice for him. I think that MacPhail and Angelos knew this going into any negotiations with him.

I truly believe the only way he was coming here is if the Yankees and Red Sox made little effort to sign him.

According to several team sources, it's unlikely that team owner Peter Angelos would be willing to extend an offer as lucrative as the Nationals' bid.

This came from Zrebiac's article earlier today.

I think AM did a terrible job in this but ultimately, it appeared that PA didn't step up to the plate himself.

Also, this backs up what i was told before..Apparently PA wanted Tex but was telling people he didn't want him as badly as people thought.

In other words, they liked him if they got a discount but not if they had to actually work for it.

Why on earth didn't we just drop out weeks ago? Why on earth didn't we just concentrate on other things?

What's with the people giving Belkast and Co. a hard time? He didn't guarantee anything, and people need to keep that in mind. Bigbird said the whole time he thought we weren't in it, but for the most part we chose to believe Belkast and Sonny because it's what we wanted to hear. This is not Belkast's fault.

I for one and very happy that he is willing to go out on a limb and tell us what he's hearing even though a lot of people here are completely ungrateful.

Hey all. I tried to post this earlier, but the server was down, so I posted it on Local Sports Hangout. Here is is again....

I just got off the phone with my father. This is a done deal, as the Yankees came in and put in a comparable offer to Boston, who apparently offered more money. This decision, he said, was made because the Yankees offer a chance to win now, comparable dollars, and they are closer to home than Boston. The Orioles never bumped their initial offer, and refused to go to 8 years in the end. We were his first choice, but we had the worst offer in the end. A sad day for us all.

LOL this team doesn't have a prayer or a clue.

Those comments make perfect sense.

MacPhail has always said he wanted to build from within. Paying Teixeira $22M a year is ridiculous when we arent one player away from contention. Yeah, it might help us three to four years from now, but if we really need a bat, I would think we just trade our surplus of arms for a young player.

"We would have loved to have had the player, who appealed to us because of the special circumstances of where he's from and where we are. We diverted from our plan to try to get him," Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said. "But at the end of the day, it was just too much to pay for one player. It would handicap our ability to go forward."

BALTIMORE SUN

I'm in the minority but I completely agree with this. I have never been of the thinking that 23+M dollars for Tex was a good thing. He's a .900 OPS first baseman, there will be more of those. People speculating what the O's can afford or can't afford have never seen the books, its your opinion, and nothing more. We are facing a major recession, everyone is tightening their belts yet we expect others to be financially irresponsible? This economy is going to catch up to the MLB. I'm glad we didn't give him that much money.

I'm not bashing them, but I do think an explanation is in order. This site takes great pains to vet the insiders for a reason, so that theer isn't all sorts of crazy unreliable information going all over the place. That's what the Sun and MLB.com boards are for.

I just want to know, if there anything the insiders can offer up to explain why at one time things looked promising? I mean, we certainly did not have a "wow" offer out there..

Well I'm no insider but I'm certain that the details of the negotiations changed many times after their posts. They posted what they were hearing form their people at the time and I have no reason not to believe what they said. Today is a perfect example. Nobody was even mentioning the Yankees and boom, they come out of nowhere and land him. You also have to remember that the so called professional insiders, Gammons and Olney changed their stories more than the weather changes. Things were in constant motion during the entire process and sadly it didn't turn out in the O's favor.

I for one and glad he is with the Yanks and not the Red Sox. The Yankees are the Yankess, and nothing is going to change that. That is why it is so sweet to beat them. The Red Sox think they are the Yankees and that annoys the crap out of me. I'm glad the Yanks stuck it to the Sox. I'm also glad AM stuck to his guns - I think it was obvious he was never really interested in Tex and made the token offer to appease the so/so fans of the city, had he made no offer he would have been hung out to dry. Are we better w/o him in the short term, probably not. But that 22.5mm per year can do a lot of good over the 8 years of the contract. Tex has always been a Yankee fan, I was blasted for posting that before, so it shouldn't surprise anyone he wanted to play there. Keep up the Good work Andy! On a side note, thank god there will not be 700+ clueless people posting on here from now on...

Archived