Baseball America 2023 Top 100

RVAOsFan

47 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Part of being a great org is knowing which of your prospects is being highly overrated and finding trade partners for them.  They could really use Nate Lowe in their lineup, but outside of that, they've done well. Fleeced the Red Sox getting Springs for Ronaldo Hernandez, Arozarena for Libertore looks good atm and Nick Anderson for Jesus Sanchez looks solid. Honeywell and McKay have just been devastated by injuries which makes makes that list much less impressive. They were both studs though. 

I bolded this as a follow up to SportsGuys comment about these lists being meaningless. I think I understand and agree with his sentiment, but a valuable meaning/purpose of these lists certainly is to calibrate your thoughts/projections for your guys with the national sentiment. This allows you to potentially sell high on some of these players. I’m curious how much these lists are used for that, but I don’t think there is a true way to tell.

• Upvote 1

Let’s also not forget about the lower prospects/rule Vs/waiver claims that developed last year— Bautista, Perez, Baker, Watkins, Voth, Wells (beforeinjured), Urias winning gold glove, and Mateo adding value when getting on base. Heck, Mullins became an all star when they had him swing full time from the left. This coaching staff at all levels finally knows how to develop players. They may not win the WS or have had high profile FA signings, but it’s refreshing. They are going to develop many of these prospects into major leaguers who contribute- some significantly.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I bolded this as a follow up to SportsGuys comment about these lists being meaningless. I think I understand and agree with his sentiment, but a valuable meaning/purpose of these lists certainly is to calibrate your thoughts/projections for your guys with the national sentiment. This allows you to potentially sell high on some of these players. I’m curious how much these lists are used for that, but I don’t think there is a true way to tell.

When I say they are meaningless, they are fun to talk about, they show your depth, etc…but at the end of the day, it doesn’t mean much.

All that matters is winning. If you aren’t winning, it doesn’t matter where you are ranked. 

11 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Actually this isn't true anymore with the new CBA. These rankings do matter.

But beyond that, the list is just a list.  There may be some level of reconciliation happening, but whoever we trade with doesn't use this list to make a decision.  That GM already has their own version.  That's what SG means when he says the list means nothing.

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

But beyond that, the list is just a list.  There may be some level of reconciliation happening, but whoever we trade with doesn't use this list to make a decision.  That GM already has their own version.  That's what SG means when he says the list means nothing.

It's really not just a list anymore.  It has importance now. Sure, GMs have their own lists that may differ but I disagree with the notion that the lists are made just to talk about. It's also very rare that you see any former top 100 prospect flame out without getting ample opportunities elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

It's really not just a list anymore.  It has importance now. Sure, GMs have their own lists that may differ but I disagree with the notion that the lists are made just to talk about. It's also very rare that you see any former top 100 prospect flame out without getting ample opportunities elsewhere. 

It's a reference point, sure.  And the 3 lists matter in the CBA.  They all started to scratch the marker/reader itch to know more about prospects.  Which means the lists are compiled primarily with readers in mind (and all that that entails if an editor or "content creator" get involved).  Executives know this.  They have their staff of experts and their scouting sources.  These lists are a sounding board or maybe a starting point to discuss differences on the staff to justify their 'why' for a ranking.  If a GM puts any more credence than that in these lists, then the scouting staffs can be cut a ton and just pay the annual subscription fee for the BA (hyperbole but that's the general value direction).

Even if we graduate 3-4 of those this year we still have our share remaining. Then with the next wave of Kjerstad, Mayo, Fabian, Beavers, Wagner, Baumlier, Johnson, Povich some will step forward. Then there are the International guys advancing and next years draft to supplement. Mayo replaces Ortiz in this list so that's the top 9. Good time to be O's.