Chayce McDermott 2023

Tony-OH

These are just stat lines without scouting, but these '23 Norfolk results have some similarities:

# Name Team Level Age IP K/9 BB/9 K/BB HR/9 K% BB% K-BB% AVG WHIP BABIP LOB% ERA FIP E-F xFIP
1 Chayce McDermott BAL AAA 24 29.0 11.79 4.03 2.92 0.00 33.3% 11.4% 21.9% .131 0.90 .213 75.0% 1.86 2.54 -0.68 3.62
2 Grayson Rodriguez BAL AAA 23 41.1 12.19 4.14 2.95 0.87 33.1% 11.2% 21.9% .174 1.09 .247 84.2% 1.96 3.61 -1.65 3.81
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

These are just stat lines without scouting, but these '23 Norfolk results have some similarities:

# Name Team Level Age IP K/9 BB/9 K/BB HR/9 K% BB% K-BB% AVG WHIP BABIP LOB% ERA FIP E-F xFIP
1 Chayce McDermott BAL AAA 24 29.0 11.79 4.03 2.92 0.00 33.3% 11.4% 21.9% .131 0.90 .213 75.0% 1.86 2.54 -0.68 3.62
2 Grayson Rodriguez BAL AAA 23 41.1 12.19 4.14 2.95 0.87 33.1% 11.2% 21.9% .174 1.09 .247 84.2% 1.96 3.61 -1.65 3.81

When can we start clamoring for McDermott?  Asking for a friend.

37 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Seems like the perfect guy to add for long relief or mid innings.

The only downside with that is that he doesn't otherwise need to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason, which is why DL Hall will get a first crack at that role instead.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

image.thumb.png.e9e88c5da7541c60d7a14b92c272a7c8.png

I like the 55 Zone % on the fastball and the overall 22% in zone whiff rate, including 23% on the fastball. In zone whiff rate is a good indicator of how the stuff plays and could indicate success at the next level. His 22 % swing and miss in zone percentage would make him 9th best in the MLB for starters. His out of zone swing percentage of 37% would be the best among MLB starters (Strider gets 35%) and his swing and miss of 60% would be the 2nd best in MLB among qualified starters.

Now don't get me wrong, getting those numbers against AAA hits vs major league hitters is not the same thing, but at least you get a comparison of where those numbers would fall had he done that at the major league level.

So basically in this start, McDermott showed the ability to miss bats in the zone, get guys to chase out of the zone, and swing and miss at those out of the zone offerings. 

That's a pretty good combination. 

Now, the bad news is he doesn't get his offspeed over the plate enough though his 43% for his curveball and slider are not terrible, but he could only throw his changeup over the plate one in six. 

Now Bradish is basically a fastball/sinker, curve, slider guy with only 9% changeups but Bradish lands his changeup in the zone enough for it to be effective. 

Now McDermott throws about 1 MPH slower than Bradish's average fastball/sinker and his curveball is more of a slower slider than the 84 MPH hammer Bradish throws, so I'm not saying that he's Kyle Bradish. But I am starting to think he can stick as a starter if he can do what he did yesterday more consistently. 

Getting through 7 innings in just 92 pitches is pretty impressive and that was a great start for him.

Maybe got better movement / action on his 4 seemer than Bradish, though? 

I've got a very, very good feeling about McDermott, and your details on him aren't helping...I'd go into next season with Bradish, GRod, Kremer, Hall, and McDermott with Means, Flaherty, and Wells as other options depending on how things develop. Not sure we're really going to need to spend big on a pitcher with arms like Hall and McDermott (Povich and Johnson behind them, of course). 

9 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Maybe got better movement / action on his 4 seemer than Bradish, though? 

I've got a very, very good feeling about McDermott, and your details on him aren't helping...I'd go into next season with Bradish, GRod, Kremer, Hall, and McDermott with Means, Flaherty, and Wells as other options depending on how things develop. Not sure we're really going to need to spend big on a pitcher with arms like Hall and McDermott (Povich and Johnson behind them, of course). 

Flaherty is a free agent after this year. I don’t really see a scenario where we resign him. 

1 minute ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Flaherty is a free agent after this year. I don’t really see a scenario where we resign him. 

Yeah, I say depending on how things develop because who knows, maybe Flaherty puts together a great last month and playoffs and we decide to re-sign him. He definitely has ability, but yeah, obviously as things stand he's not coming back next season. 

Just now, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, I say depending on how things develop because who knows, maybe Flaherty puts together a great last month and playoffs and we decide to re-sign him. He definitely has ability, but yeah, obviously as things stand he's not coming back next season. 

I think if he has a great month he prob prices himself out of us anyways haha. Unless he REALLY likes it here and signs for less type of thing. Still a pretty young guy. 

• Upvote 1