Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Probably right but why did Acuna and Franco do their deals? I hope we at least offer in that range.

The DR guys almost always sign these deals because of the poorer backgrounds they tend to come from.  It’s easier to convince them to sign for that type of money it seems.

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

Right. I don’t think it will happen. 

It’s highly unlikely that would even be the demand. It’s just not a realistic structure.

Boras likes to go after the money but he understands contracts, value and comparable deals. 

8/150 is possible..maybe a tad high but that deal could work if he wants to give up the 3rd FA year.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s highly unlikely that would even be the demand. It’s just not a realistic structure.

Boras likes to go after the money but he understands contracts, value and comparable deals. 

8/150 is possible..maybe a tad high but that deal could work if he wants to give up the 3rd FA year.

How much do you think Arizona would have to pay Carroll to extend him had they waited until now to start negotiating. 

Maybe 7/150 is unrealistic, but I think it’s also unrealistic to offer him the Carroll contract at this point. 

8 minutes ago, joelala said:

How much do you think Arizona would have to pay Carroll to extend him had they waited until now to start negotiating. 

Maybe 7/150 is unrealistic, but I think it’s also unrealistic to offer him the Carroll contract at this point. 

Why is it unrealistic to think he would essentially get the exact same contract as another one of the top young players in the sport who is basically the same age? (Gunnar is about 1 year younger but it’s similar)

Edited by Sports Guy

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he’s better than an average SS but I’m not convinced that he’s some all world, elite SS which is the level of defense some here lead you to believe he is at. He still may get better over there but defense tends to peak early and for a bigger guy, I’m not convinced that third isn’t his best position long term.

I’ve definitely seen shortstops with better side to side range than Gunnar.  But his range isn’t bad, and if he can reach it, he can make the throw, unlike some rangier shortstops with less arm.  For me, he’s above average, but not close to what Mateo was last year.  

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The DR guys almost always sign these deals because of the poorer backgrounds they tend to come from.  It’s easier to convince them to sign for that type of money it seems.

I don't know, $100-200M guaranteed while you are making $700k is a nice incentive. I think it would be hard to turn down the opportunity to lock in that kind of guaranteed money. There are plenty of examples of American guys signing team friendly deals, I just mentioned Acuna and Franco as two of the most recent. Worst thing that happens is he says no. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know, $100-200M guaranteed while you are making $700k is a nice incentive. I think it would be hard to turn down the opportunity to lock in that kind of guaranteed money. There are plenty of examples of American guys signing team friendly deals, I just mentioned Acuna and Franco as two of the most recent. Worst thing that happens is he says no. 

Just FYI he's going to make more than that this year.

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That’s why I’m making Gunnar and Holliday turn down 9 figures. If they do, so be it but it should be put on the table.

End of the day, it’s far more risk for the Os than the player to do it but I think it’s worth it.

And you also go after Adley although that’s trickier imo. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think they also tend to have agents with fewer big times clients, so the agents are looking to cash in before their meal ticket moves on.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s why I’m making Gunnar and Holliday turn down 9 figures. If they do, so be it but it should be put on the table.

End of the day, it’s far more risk for the Os than the player to do it but I think it’s worth it.

And you also go after Adley although that’s trickier imo. 

The problem with all of this is if you are the team and do this, do you put it out there you were turned away and risk alienating the player?