Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

I'll be honest, Verlander didn't excite me at first glance because I remembered he was struggling earlier in the year.  But it looks like he's settled down a bit.  I'm not sure if I want him for next year too, but I guess it's worth a gamble this year.  And maybe he still has something left for next year as well.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I'll be honest, Verlander didn't excite me at first glance because I remembered he was struggling earlier in the year.  But it looks like he's settled down a bit.  I'm not sure if I want him for next year too, but I guess it's worth a gamble this year.  And maybe he still has something left for next year as well.

Would you be willing to pay a steep price for a gamble? Because I would expect the Mets are going to be demanding a substantial haul for a big name like Justin Verlander given that they're willing to foot the bill and probably believe they could compete next year if they want to. They got a top-50 prospect for Scherzer, and he is worse than Verlander and becomes a free agent after this year. And that's with the cash-rich Rangers agreeing to eat some of the contract.

I think if the O's make a move like this, they have to be pretty dang sure, which is difficult with a guy who is 40.

45 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Would you be willing to pay a steep price for a gamble? Because I would expect the Mets are going to be demanding a substantial haul for a big name like Justin Verlander given that they're willing to foot the bill and probably believe they could compete next year if they want to. They got a top-50 prospect for Scherzer, and he is worse than Verlander and becomes a free agent after this year. And that's with the cash-rich Rangers agreeing to eat some of the contract.

I think if the O's make a move like this, they have to be pretty dang sure, which is difficult with a guy who is 40.

I think that with Verlander's age his contract is more of a liability than a bonus.  If the O's are willing to take on the contract then I think he will command a significantly smaller package.

At this point who's going to move the needle?  I think you're limited to either Snell, Verlander, Cease, and Rodriguez?  Maybe Lorenzen but he's more generic help that reduces your risk, not really someone that improves your top-end projection.  Among those pitchers I think Snell is the biggest get, but Verlander is a close 2nd. Cease and Rodriguez are nice gets but Rodriguez is pitching over his head and with Cease you're sacrificing some talent for some extra years that you may or may not want.

It's a gamble but how big of one really depends on whether you trust the O's to sell the right prospects.

I do think the O's came up a year early, but I would hope Elias adjusts accordingly.

Here are eight ideal player-team trade fits for Deadline day. (Stats are entering the week.)

Justin Verlander -- Orioles

Why not the Dodgers for Verlander? It's not just that Verlander is the perfect veteran starter to lead the Orioles' staff, it's that he's always been a strikeout-and-fly-ball pitcher, and that air contact he induces will stay in the ballpark in Baltimore, with Camden Yards' high, deep wall in left field. The O's outfielders can track down those high fly balls -- especially once the rangy Cedric Mullins returns to center field -- and let Verlander cook.

2 hours ago, Say O! said:

Thx for posting the tweet, but Is that really any true intel from Morosi?  The blanket “best chance to win” garbage line…all three of those teams will be in the playoffs.    

I don’t know whether it is true intel, but JP has known Verlander for a long time, going back to his days as a writer for the Detroit Free Press in the mid-2000s. I tend to think JP wouldn’t bring it up unless he knows something. He’s also always struck me as less of a rumor monger than guys like Heyman, and he’s not always wrong like Nightengale.

I still can’t believe they’re in on Verlander. It would make more sense to me that this is being leaked to give them additional leverage with Detroit, although they’ve supposedly avoided leaks in the past.

I’m guessing they have the best offer on the table for whoever they prefer between ERod or Lorenzen, but it’s not as good a return as Montgomery got so Detroit is waiting until the clock runs down. Maybe a little risky given how badly they need a starter but we’ll see. Just a hunch.

Padres Rumors: Analyst Wants to See Massive Blockbuster Sending Snell, Hader, and Lugo to Baltimore

Here's a trade proposal that caught our eye from MLB.com's Brett Maguire: the Padres send Snell, Hader and pitcher Seth Lugo for five of the Orioles' top prospects, Connor Norby, Coby Mayo, Cade Povich, Seth Johnson and Jud Fabian.

Man we’d have a legit shot at winning the WS. But, I don’t see Elias sending guys like Mayo and Johnson for three 2 month rentals.

https://www.si.com/mlb/padres/news/padres-rumors-analyst-wants-to-see-massive-blockbuster-sending-snell-hader-and-lugo-to-baltimore-pw2001