Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Verlander drove the car on that trade. He had all the leverage with his no trade clause and he had familiar relationships with people in the Astros and the City of Houston. So that’s where he chose to go. The Mets did not have the final say. Verlander chose the deal for them. 

That does seem like the case in this specific instance. Kind of surprising that the Mets did it at all for that return. You could probably get that much this offseason even if you don't think you can compete next year.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

For Cease, I'm offering Norby, Povich, and 1 or 2 guys from the DSL. 

I feel like that's pretty fair honestly. 

Why would Chicago agree to that? Cease is above average NOW. Norby and Povich are guys who have a shot at maybe being above average one day... if all goes well. Both project to be about average.

Cowser or Kjerstad, Povich, and another top 10-15 guy maybe is more reasonable.

30 minutes ago, bluedog said:

It's hilarious that the Mets extracted a top 100 prospect from the Rangers by shipping them Scherzer and then another top 100 from the Astros for Verlander.

Basically both teams just stayed on par with each other but lost a quality prospect in the process...

Gained equity on BAL and TBR though in the race for #1 seed.

Phillies Lorenzen win as Dave Dombrowski splashes Sigbot contingency pool.

Going back to baseball, I get that no one wants to give up good prospects, but you have to give something to get something.

Doing nothing can have a cost too. Your team is currently in first place on Aug 1. There are no guarantees that it will be in this position on Aug 1 of 2024, even if you keep all your prospects. A lot of things have broken the Orioles way this year, which may not do so again next year, or the year after that. So Elias needs to evaluate this cost of missed opportunity too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

We're getting into prime @Can_of_corntime now. I can feel him growing stronger every minute closer to the deadline. 

What's prime @Can_of_corntime?  Crankier and crankier?  Talking about obscure music no one cares about?  Taking things WAY too literally?  Not having any fun?  A combination of all of the above?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Uli2001 said:

Going back to baseball, I get that no one wants to give up good prospects, but you have to give something to get something.

Doing nothing can have a cost too. Your team is currently in first place on Aug 1. There are no guarantees that it will be in this position on Aug 1 of 2024, even if you keep all your prospects. A lot of things have broken the Orioles way this year, which may not do so again next year, or the year after that. So Elias needs to evaluate this cost of missed opportunity too.

Amen!

1 minute ago, HokieOs said:

Why would Chicago agree to that? Cease is above average NOW. Norby and Povich are guys who have a shot at maybe being above average one day... if all goes well. Both project to be about average.

Cowser or Kjerstad, Povich, and another top 10-15 guy maybe is more reasonable.

The thinking here only makes sense if you think that Cease is only as good as his worst stretch of baseball, and that none of our top 10 prospects will bust.

3 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Well he won't be pitching opposite Gibson against us on Saturday as it was scheduled. A win for us too? lol

But we still have 6 games against the Astros this season, so we might see Verlander twice.