Can someone tell me what Cowser needs to do better?

kidrock

Just now, Sports Guy said:

But they are winning. Again, this was the argument people have used for Frazier all year..why mess up what’s working? If they are winning, who cares?

Exactly. If we can win games and make the playoffs while Cowser is getting his sea legs, why shouldn't we?

6 hours ago, Winter said:

Cowser OBP: .286

Since Cowser up;
Hays: .239

Hicks: .286

Westburg: .270

Urias: .288

Frazier: .288

Mullins .311

McCann: .222

Mateo: .206

Not too worried, the team is struggling so it makes Cowser transition seem worse. Maybe fans are hoping a guy with limited MLB ABs would carry the team on his back. -- Guess Cowser is the easy guy to pick on. -- Im least worried about Cowser of all those listed above. 

Holy heck! The man is a curse.  I knew he was struggling but I had no idea he was dragging down the entire team in this way!!!  It's not enough that we send him down.   Whatever OBP killing contagion he's suffering from we can't risk him spreading it to Norfolk.  We must trade him now, and if we can't trade him we must release him!!!  😂

My tongue is planted firmly in my cheek.  

• Haha 1

My anchor point on Hicks is so low that if they really are worried about Cowser down the stretch I feel they should trade for Grichuk or some actually okay veteran.     The Cardinals Devil Magic is perhaps on loan in Baltimore this year but I can't get there on Hicks suspension of belief.    I am thrilled with the contributions banked.

In terms of filling out, I think he's mostly done.    One of the big visual takeaways this spring is Cowser wasn't Markakis sized anymore.    

Even at the low end of outcomes, Cowser I think would be a good version of what Vavra couldn't make it as in a bottom of the order role.     I still think he'll make the top of order group with Gunnar, Adley, Kjerstad, Holliday in time.     If Mayo Basallo keep up Gunnar like growth, top of order nearly becomes whole order.     Cedric may be an All-Star and Team USA veteran batting last by the end of 2025.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Tom Shopay vs Ted Williams.   The self proclaimed OH comedian can’t tell a joke when he sees one.   Cowser looks awful.   That can’t be argued.  I’ve said repeatedly that you can’t ignore his track record and that eventually he’ll settle in.   The question is how much rope he has and if he can settle in before Hicks and Mullins come back and take away all of his AB’s.

I know you want to come off as the voice of reason here but it’s actually a small minority who think Cowser was never any good to begin with, has a bad swing, and is now being exposed as a mediocre talent.   I never disagreed with you.   Just your absurd comparison to Ted Williams.   I came back at the other end of the spectrum with Tom Shopay.   If you can’t get that joke then it’s at least time for another cup of coffee.

Wait... are you talking 1969 Shopay or 1967 Shopay?  Big difference ya' know.  

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

Wait... are you talking 1969 Shopay or 1967 Shopay?  Big difference ya' know.  

Haha.  I think his career OPS was .552.  I looked him up on BREF after his name just popped into my head.   

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

My anchor point on Hicks is so low that if they really are worried about Cowser down the stretch I feel they should trade for Grichuk or some actually okay veteran.     The Cardinals Devil Magic is perhaps on loan in Baltimore this year but I can't get there on Hicks suspension of belief.    I am thrilled with the contributions banked.

In terms of filling out, I think he's mostly done.    One of the big visual takeaways this spring is Cowser wasn't Markakis sized anymore.    

Even at the low end of outcomes, Cowser I think would be a good version of what Vavra couldn't make it as in a bottom of the order role.     I still think he'll make the top of order group with Gunnar, Adley, Kjerstad, Holliday in time.     If Mayo Basallo keep up Gunnar like growth, top of order nearly becomes whole order.     Cedric may be an All-Star and Team USA veteran batting last by the end of 2025.

I'm beginning to understand JustRegular-speak.  Should I be worried?  🙂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  I think his career OPS was .552.  I looked him up on BREF after his name just popped into my head.   

I was just a kid when he was playing... but in my youth my capacity for consuming all things Orioles was endless so I remembered him immediately.  I actually saw him during his last season in 1977... coincidently the last season for Brooks Robinson.  I'm amazed he was able to play parts of 7 season - over 10 years - with his limited ability.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Edited by BRobinsonfan

It seems I remember Cowser struggling to start at every level before figuring out and becoming one of the best hitters in the league. I would have left him at Norfolk a while longer, but he needs to play if he's in Baltimore. I think he will get comfortable and start hitting.

6 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I was just a kid when he was playing... but in my youth my capacity for consuming all things Orioles was endless so I remembered him immediately.  I actually saw him during his last season in 1977... coincidently the last season for Brooks Robinson.  I'm amazed he was able to play parts of 7 season - over 10 years - with his limited ability.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Agreed.  He managed to play parts of 5 seasons with the Orioles from 71-77 and never have an OPS greater than .559 in any of those seasons.   Weaver must have loved him, I guess.  His first 30 ML AB’s with the Yankees were his best.    I just remembered the name as an obscure player who wasn’t a good hitter.   Now I’m thinking of Fred Beene, the pitcher.  Back to BREF!  Lol

One problem is how often he’s taking inside fastballs for strikes (several of which have been strike 3).  Most of these pitches have late tailing action and it looks like he is giving up on the pitch a little early.  If I am noticing it, you can bet that Cowser and the O’s are aware and are working on it.  This is the type of adjustment that batters need to make once they get to the show, since MLB pitchers have consistently better stuff and pitch execution than what’s in the minors.  I am looking forward to seeing Cowser turn on one of those inside fastballs and sending on to the flag court.

Take a look at how quick he turns on these pitches at Norfolk.  
https://www.milb.com/norfolk/video/colton-cowser-s-two-home-runs

Edited by jdwilde1

Just to avoid this false narrative that Cowser has struggled at the beginning of each level, it’s simply not true.  He hit right away at Delmarva, had a .780 OPS at Aberdeen last year without a terrible start, clobbered the ball right away with Bowie.   The only level he struggled even close to what’s happening now was Norfolk this April when he started 2-26 with 8 k’s

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

This led me to wonder just how long it took Ted Williams to adjust to major league pitching.  After 54 PA in the majors (Cowser has 56 now), Teddy Ballgame had a .923 OPS.   I guess he was still adjusting, because he ended the year at 1.045.  As a 20-year old.  

Yeah, I think we can forget about that comparison.  

OK, but the Splinter couldn't play a mediocre CF like Cowser. At least, the Sox didn't put him there.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

1. I expect Cowser to be fine, he will adjust and produce eventually

2. That being said, the O's are in a playoff hunt, and need guys who can produce. I wouldn't be surprised to see Elias make a Kjerstad for Cowser swap once Mullins comes back. That's not to say Kjerstad will do any better than Cowser at the plate. But a playoff team needs players who produce and add value.

I can’t see them swapping Cowser for Kjerstad. It would waste all of the adjustment time that CC has already logged and you have to believe that HK is going to go through an adjustment to ML pitching himself. Plus Kjerstad can’t play CF and given the injury bug with Ced and now Hicks, they need another guy who can play in the middle. That’s not Kjerstad.

I would be shocked to HK in Baltimore at any point this year unless the O’s are decimated by injuries to their OF. Even then I think we would probably see Frazier, O’Hearn, Mountcastle or JW getting run out there before HK.