Sunday 8/13/23 Game 3 @ Seattle

Goober Noodles

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Fujinami needs to get tested again in a high leverage situation. I want to know if today was for real.

He looked pretty much the same as he did in some of the "bad outings".   100 MPH, struggling to throw strikes.  He threw just enough today to get the outs, he didn't in other games.

It's not a matter of him being "great" today and "awful" that time where he walked 2 and hit 2.    Basically the same guy, just managed to throw a slightly higher % of those 100 MPH FBs where he wanted to.   Still not all of them, some were way off and one was a wild pitch.

Results were vastly different but watching him there isn't that much of a difference.   It's going to be a tightrope.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Sewald just got a Save to give Diamondbacks their series over the Padres - Hader has not pitched in a bunch of days.

Amazingly, three teams look dumb in just this one post. 

San Diego has obviously got to be regretting keeping their rental players at this point. The Mariners probably are feeling pretty remorseful about trading their closer — today specifically, but also overall, given that they’re right in the thick of it after this hot streak. And Arizona probably has to be wondering why it dealt away prospects for a closer on a team that just barely cracked .500 again after taking their last two. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Malike said:

What a series of highs and lows the past two games. We came out west and punched the hottest team in the league right in the mouth. Keep it rolling in SD.

I will disappointed if they can't get at least 2 out of 3 from MM's team. It's not a very good team.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He looked pretty much the same as he did in some of the "bad outings".   100 MPH, struggling to throw strikes.  He threw just enough today to get the outs, he didn't in other games.

It's not a matter of him being "great" today and "awful" that time where he walked 2 and hit 2.    Basically the same guy, just managed to throw a slightly higher % of those 100 MPH FBs where he wanted to.   Still not all of them, some were way off and one was a wild pitch.

Results were vastly different but watching him there isn't that much of a difference.   It's going to be a tightrope.

We were saying this quote from Bull Durham fit Bautista last night in the game thread, but the Fujinami experience can really be summed up in this one gif:

81a8b7c2-d92f-49f7-9825-d1a5a6e65671_tex

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

I dunno man, the PNW is pretty scary now.

There was a recent NYT article about the demise of Portland that quoted some poor drug addled folks living in an RV in like Kansas, deciding they were heading out to the promised land of Portland because they heard drugs flowed like water out there. I think the PNW has always been the end of the tracks for lost souls, but it has gotten a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

I've criticized Melanie Newman a lot in these game threads, but since I didn't have MLB.TV hadn't seen any of her post-game interviews and wrap-ups. I'm watching today's now and she's very good at it. Almost diametric opposite of her PBP--relaxed, well-spoken, good rhetorical flourishes.

I wonder why it's so different for her--because she's better speaking to the camera (knowing that she has everyone's attention)? Or because not flanked sometimes by other announcers who know more about baseball than she does?

In any case, it gives me hope that her play-by-play can improve.

Edited by LA2

21 minutes ago, yark14 said:

McCann is fluent in Japanese.

Or more likely, Fuji knows some English.  Perhaps not enough to be comfortable doing an interview in English with a camera shoved in his face, but knows enough to be about to communicate with his catcher.  Same applies to many of the Hispanic members of our team.

McCann:  "Throw strikes."

Fuji:  "OK."