Strasburg to retire

nevadaO

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Will be interesting to see what the settlement between the two parties looks like.

So he has 3 years left on a 7/$245mm contract, so something in the neighborhood of $100mm depending on the exact allocation of the money.

Now Chris Davis agreed to go away retire, and I believe that he will still get paid the full amount of his contract (although the deferrals do reduce the effective value).   I wonder what it will be with him?   Will he actually not get all the money by retiring with 3 years left?

You are right, it is very interesting.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

He's still owed $105M according to bbref. Thats alot of money to walk away from, but maybe he's being honorable and deciding its time. 

I cant imagine DC agreeing to pay him any of it after he says he's retiring.

I'm sure they reached an agreement before he announced he's retiring.

• Upvote 1

A couple Strasburg factoids.

Before the 2010 TJ, the most famous Strasburg covered 60+ MLB innings - he posted a 27% k-bb.    It blew away all the other SP - just scanning the overall list, Cliff Lee looks like he was 2nd, just shy of 20% k-bb.      A few of the best relievers that year had Strasburg 4th overall.

2023 using 50 innings for similarity as we are 5 months down, 1 month to go.    Its still 4 pitchers at 27+: Felix, Strider, Aroldis and Brash.

Guys getting to 20+ more commonplace - 50 some this year, including a couple dozen starters.    In 2010, it was just 17 total.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&type=1&month=0&ind=0&startdate=&enddate=&sortcol=8&sortdir=desc&pageitems=30&season1=2010&season=2010&qual=60