Jorge Lopez is Back

Orioles Jim

12 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I thought this might happen in the offseason, but now? Hyde and Holt are Lopez whisperers, I guess. I hope he can find his confidence, and quickly.

So, he cannot compete in the playoffs for us, right?

Correct, he can NOT compete in the playoffs.

Only players who were already in the organization prior to September 1st are eligible (such as any MiLB'ers, or Means.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

So he’s not eligible for the postseason roster since he wasn’t here by Sep. 1, right?

I’d have to go back and affirm this but I believe that there are exceptions that could be made for injury replacements but as it stands, without said exceptions he would not be eligible unless somehow the claim was submitted on Thursday and just made official. That part I do not know. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’d have to go back and affirm this but I believe that there are exceptions that could be made for injury replacements but as it stands, without said exceptions he would not be eligible unless somehow the claim was submitted on Thursday and just made official. That part I do not know. 

I would imagine he was out in waivers to make room for a guy they just claimed the 31st.  Ibelieve they got someone, but I don't recall the player.   I'd imagine not eligible. 

Lopez is basically no help this year but Bautista is gone next year and Lopez has another year of team control.

He got 3.5M this year and no one would even come close to paying him that this year, much less give him a raise.

So, my guess is that the Os are going to bring him in and work with him and maybe see if it’s worth holding onto him for next year. See if they can sign him to a cheap 1 year deal next year.

Not sure what other reason exists to do this because he can’t be put on the postseason roster.

• Upvote 1

I thought the waiver deadline already passed. Did this happen last week without anyone finding out til now? Maybe he will get good again and we can flip him for another closer.

MLB.com has him on the 40 man, but not the active roster. But he's not in the minors and isn't injured. So he belongs to us and he just sits on the 40 man for now?