John Angelos is Right About Emulating the Rays

baltfan

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

As much as people want to think this team can afford to spend money on big free agents, it cannot.  The damage done by a miss is too much to stomach.  The Rays repeatedly have found quality players through player development even without high draft picks, trades, and scouring the rosters of others.  

Look at their current roster of pitchers.  McClanahan is home grown.  Efflin was a modest free agent signing.  Glasnow and Civale were acquired in trades.  Littel was claimed off waivers.  None of these guys was particularly established when acquired.  For those of you thinking that's not true, Civale and Glasnow were established.  Neither of them had had a season like Cease, Burnes, or Woodward who are often talked about for the Orioles and would be more expensive to acquire.

Similarly, the position players are a hodgepodge of guys that weren't particularly well thought of when acquired--Ramirez, Arozarena, Paredes, and Diaz.  They have been developed.

The team needs to pour money into development and scouting which are much cheaper than players. 

We should be cheering JA on when he says he wants to emulate the Rays.

So far they have not developed players as well as Tampa.  We need an elete scouting staff and player developement program, especially if JA don't want to spend money on big FA's and FA's are no guarantee, look at San Diego!!!!  They could also emulate Atlanta and Dodgers farm systems and player developement systems.

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

So far they have not developed players as well as Tampa.  We need an elete scouting staff and player developement program, especially if JA don't want to spend money on big FA's and FA's are no guarantee, look at San Diego!!!!  They could also emulate Atlanta and Dodgers farm systems and player developement systems.

The Dodgers and the Braves have both shown a willingness to take on a bad contract for a draft pick. 

It seems to me that it is quite clear that the key to the Rays success has been their consistent ability to have a top notch pitching staff almost year after year even as the players, manager, and front office executives change. Nobody has done this as good as them over the last 15 years. However, despite all of that they have no rings. Yes I know that there is a certain luck/randomness factor in the small sample size of the postseason. But I'm hesitant when adopting a goal of good but never good enough. What's wrong with the Astros model? They don't have a bunch of high priced Free Agents and have won championships. That seems like at least from a success standpoint who I would be trying to chance if I'm the O's.

The Rays are a low budget well run franchise with a piss poor stadium and a mediocre at best fan base. The Orioles are a (currentley) low budget/well run/poorly owned franchise with a beautiful stadium and an energised (and sometimes wet) fan base set to draw nearly 2 mil this year. And yet, here we are, one and two in the AL East with 15 games to go while the Sanks and Suxs are thinking about next year. I can't help loving the latter. It sustains me after the last four games! Plus, the Jays may join them as the great under achievers that they are. 

Right now, the Rays are playing better and we are in a funk.

Bottom line to me is, we need to play better than the Rays not necessarily emulate them. Except perhaps, emulate how they seem to always get/develop good pitching. Pitching in my mind, is the current difference between these two teams.

As far as J A is concerned, I've decided it's best for my health to ignore Owner Speak. Just like there is an ignore option on here. That and my daily scotch helps me navigate my need to follow and root for my O's. Man, I need a win though!!!!!!!! 

8 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

The Rays are a low budget well run franchise with a piss poor stadium and a mediocre at best fan base. The Orioles are a (currentley) low budget/well run/poorly owned franchise with a beautiful stadium and an energised (and sometimes wet) fan base set to draw nearly 2 mil this year. And yet, here we are, one and two in the AL East with 15 games to go while the Sanks and Suxs are thinking about next year. I can't help loving the latter. It sustains me after the last four games! Plus, the Jays may join them as the great under achievers that they are. 

Right now, the Rays are playing better and we are in a funk.

Bottom line to me is, we need to play better than the Rays not necessarily emulate them. Except perhaps, emulate how they seem to always get/develop good pitching. Pitching in my mind, is the current difference between these two teams.

As far as J A is concerned, I've decided it's best for my health to ignore Owner Speak. Just like there is an ignore option on here. That and my daily scotch helps me navigate my need to follow and root for my O's. Man, I need a win though!!!!!!!! 

For the record Baltimore is 22nd in average attendance this year.

I wouldn't crow too loud about the fanbase just yet.

Edited by Can_of_corn

16 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

The O's have an elite scouting and development program and a #1 farm system.  Just need time to get them all established in the majors.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm wondering outside of Franco, who the Rays have locked up long-term? I know they signed Brandow Lowe for 6/24 but he's a sub 2 win player so meh.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yandy-diaz-extension-rays-close-to-three-year-24-million-deal-per-report/

The Tampa Bay Rays have handed out another multi-year contract extension. The Rays and third baseman Yandy Díaz have agreed to a three-year contract worth $24 million, the team announced Tuesday. The deal includes a club option for 2026. Tampa signed lefty Jeffrey Springs (four years, $31 million) and righty Pete Fairbanks (three years, $12 million) to extensions in recent days.

Edited by Can_of_corn

20 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Tampa has traded for most of their starting lineup. They aren't pushing out a pipeline of great hitters that they drafted and developed.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Right, he's a 31-year-old player, though. I thought we were talking about team-friendly contracts for young players we've drafted and developed like they did with Franco. They didn't draft and develop Diaz.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Right, he's a 31-year-old player, though. I thought we were talking about team-friendly contracts for young players we've drafted and developed like they did with Franco. They didn't draft and develop Diaz.

If you read the piece it mentioned three players.

Also, extending guys past arbitration is extending guys past arbitration in my book.  It's sure more than the O's have been willing to do.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Also, extending guys past arbitration is extending guys past arbitration in my book.  It's sure more than the O's have been willing to do.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I read the piece, but who do we have that we offer 3/12 or 4/31 to through arb that isn't probably losing money? Tampa does a great job at acquiring players from other orgs and turning them into something. It's not like they are drafting and developing these studs and then locking up for pennies on the dollar like everyone thinks they are.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Look at their current roster of pitchers.  McClanahan is home grown.  Efflin was a modest free agent signing.  Glasnow and Civale were acquired in trades.  Littel was claimed off waivers.  None of these guys was particularly established when acquired.  For those of you thinking that's not true, Civale and Glasnow were established.  Neither of them had had a season like Cease, Burnes, or Woodward who are often talked about for the Orioles and would be more expensive to acquire.

Even Shawn Armstrong, who was decent for us but not dominating, has a 0.77 ERA this year with 46 innings pitched for the Rays this year.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For the record Baltimore is 22nd in average attendance this year. 

I wouldn't crow too loud about the fanbase just yet.

For the record, I don't 'crow." Nor do I howl at the moon! I was talking Rays - Orioles. I was comparing fan bases. Look up Tamps's attendance this year and they have a much longer span of relavence. Tampa is 27th. In my opinion, they have a ho/hum fan base. See Attendance thread re Orioles increase in attendance in 2023. You should try scotch.

17 minutes ago, Malike said:

I read the piece, but who do we have that we offer 3/12 or 4/31 to through arb that isn't probably losing money? Tampa does a great job at acquiring players from other orgs and turning them into something. It's not like they are drafting and developing these studs and then locking up for pennies on the dollar like everyone thinks they are.

You asked who else they had extended.

I gave you that information.

Not sure why you are busy now coming up with reasons why those guys shouldn't count.