Frazier, Mateo, Hicks, O'Hearn: Little Things that Helped Make the Magic

LA2

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I was pretty surprised that was overturned.  It looked to me like he maybe tagged him on the elbow before that big oven mitt got to the plate, but nothing looked indisputable to me unless NY had a different angle.  I would not have been happy on that one if I was TB.

If you use 2 video angles, you can see he was tagged before he touched the plate. One angle shows where he was tagged but you can't see the plate. The other shows when it touched the plate and if you stopped that video where Adley's glove is for the tag, he was an ich or so from touching the plate. They kind of showed it on the telecast, but you had to be looking for it.

Over on the Rays subreddit, there are a lot of folks blaming this replay overturn as the reason the Rays lost. There's no mention of the home plate ump costing the O's their first run by calling a strike on Urias' ball four, but lots of whining in their game thread about this reply. :D

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You had it right with money talks.

This isn't the NBA, you aren't going to get a 9 year vet to sign a deal for the mid-level exemption so he can chase a ring.

Stuff like this is good when the money is equivalent.

Oh, I think there are players who choose playing for a winning team over getting top dollar, or who choose a team based on their clubhouse.  But the money different can’t be super-significant.  Anyway, it’s irrelevant for O’Hearn, who’s going to be in Arb 3. 

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

There were two outs on the Rutschman single, so Hicks should have been going on contact.

But Austin Hays deserves a lot of credit, too. The O's aren't in a position to win if he doesn't hit a clutch RBI single with two outs in the fourth, and then in the ninth, representing the last out, he goes down and gets the bat on a tough breaking ball.

You're right and Hicks was. In fact, he's already around third by the time the CFer Margot gloves the ball.

3 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

O'Hearn is usually very intense and stoic looking.  When he dropped that bunt down and was coming back to the dugout he had this huge grin on his face the entire way.  I think it's the longest I've ever seen him smile.  

Such a great win. 

It was like he was laughing along with the dugout he was returning to along the lines of "Yeah, look at that--I bunted!"

And if you look at the replay, had he not spent so much time visually checking the bunted ball and getting a slow start, he might have almost beat it out! As has been said many times here, he has surprising speed.

In the post-game interview, you can feel that he's on the edge of tears when talking about the team and what the season has meant to him personally. It reminded me of similar interviews done with Nate McLouth and Steve Pearce during their good, essential times with the O's after being rescued from obscurity. 

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

If you use 2 video angles, you can see he was tagged before he touched the plate. One angle shows where he was tagged but you can't see the plate. The other shows when it touched the plate and if you stopped that video where Adley's glove is for the tag, he was an ich or so from touching the plate. They kind of showed it on the telecast, but you had to be looking for it.

Over on the Rays subreddit, there are a lot of folks blaming this replay overturn as the reason the Rays lost. There's no mention of the home plate ump costing the O's their first run by calling a strike on Urias' ball four, but lots of whining in their game thread about this reply. :D

I didn't think it was obvious from either angle when/where the tag was applied.  To me there was enough uncertainty that I would not have overturned it.  But I'm glad they did!

2 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Not trying to hit one out there, just trying to get on, and it seemed he was expecting Jorge to come in for him as soon as he got to first base. That’s the kind of unselfish passing of the baton that this team constantly talks about. 

And to reinforce your point, Hays was the first one out of the dugout to congratulate Mateo, his pinchrunner.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This is another weakly hit, well placed ball by Frazier and the weakness of the hit was ideal there because of the placement and Mateo being able to score.

But the speed of Mateo is insane. Arozarena gets to that ball and Mateo is already hitting the third base bag and he doesn’t even remotely try to throw it home.

That speed is game changing…just hopefully they get a chance to use it in the postseason.

Put the ball in play and sometimes good things can happen. Frazier may not be Babe Ruth, but he’s good at that. 

AFter the O's were in a 3-1 hole w/ the 2 HR given up by Lopez, so many things had to go right for the O's to win.  Scoring 2 runs off the Tampa bullpen looked like mission impossible, much less the 4 runs the O's ended up scoring.

O's had to do everything flawlessly after being down late and came thru every time.  All 3 of Tampa's fans must be crushed.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

AFter the O's were in a 3-1 hole w/ the 2 HR given up by Lopez, so many things had to go right for the O's to win.  Scoring 2 runs off the Tampa bullpen looked like mission impossible, much less the 4 runs the O's ended up scoring.

O's had to do everything flawlessly after being down late and came thru every time.  All 3 of Tampa's fans must be crushed.

I saw them ranting about how just damn lucky we always are. 😁

24 minutes ago, LA2 said:

It was like he was laughing along with the dugout he was returning to along the lines of "Yeah, look at that--I bunted!"

And if you look at the replay, had he not spent so much time looking at the ball and getting a slow start, he might have almost beat it out! As has been said many times here, he has surprising speed.

In the post-game interview, you can feel that he's on the edge of tears when talking about the team and what the season has meant to him personally. It reminded me of similar interviews done with Nate McLouth and Steve Pearce during their good, essential times with the O's after being rescued from obscurity. 

Surprising speed and he hustles like crazy too.

But yup, he looked so happy and even outright said how much he loved the team. He’s been a great presence. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It wasn’t as weakly hit as I thought when I saw it live — 94.4 mph off the bat.  But on the ground, and right down the line.  As someone here said, as if he was playing snooker.  

As to the “Delmon Young” comment, it’s pretty apt in terms of how loud the stadium was at that moment.  OPACY can definitely get loud when the fans are riled up.  And the combination of the clutch hit and the thrill of watching Mateo at full throttle definitely riled us up!

Damn, I'll be honest, maybe it was because of the late camera decision to show where the ball was, but yeah, I thought it was a weak hit too. Damn good piece of hitting by Frazier.