Rays-Rangers ALWC series

Just Regular

Seems like the Texas offense is hot again... it was hot when they blasted through Camden Yards earlier in the year and made the Os look second class.  Fair amount of decent lefty power in that lineup, which could play well at Oriole Park.  And maybe they go with lefty Montgomery on short rest for Game 1.

Will be an interesting series.  

22 hours ago, tntoriole said:

How do Michael Kay and Arod get the Twins-Jays call? 

They are analysts for ESPN.

In reality, this is baseball's way of having the Yankees represented in this year's playoffs.  😁

I hope they don't call any of the Orioles' series.  A-Rod by default will probably show his face during the WS.

5 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I am not sure I agree with the current format. The went from a play-in game to a 3-game series for the WC, but now one the division champions has to play in it. Like you said, a division title should give you the right to play in a real series. This is not.

They can't play until Thanksgiving.

There was a bit of complaining about the central division so it kinda makes Minnesota "earn" it a little more. 

6 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I am not sure I agree with the current format. The went from a play-in game to a 3-game series for the WC, but now one the division champions has to play in it. Like you said, a division title should give you the right to play in a real series. This is not.

Not if the division title winner has the worst record of all AL teams. They had a worse record than Seattle who didn’t qualify. Twins should be grateful they’re still playing. 

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

More of an offseason topic, but I have wondered if the Rays are actually going to follow through on retaining their Tyler Glasnow at 1/25 for 2024.     I believe it'd be the biggest 1-year salary by a lot for the franchise.

They arbitraged buying low while he was hurt to procure 1 more year of a pitcher of his caliber that typically they wouldn't pay market rates for.    Could he be a top of the deck deal if they need to be Raysian and deal guys before prices get high to replenish the pipeline?

No way they keep him.  They might shop him and exercise the option and trade him if there’s interest.  

Pro: Glasnow has a 137 ERA+ and a .703 winning percentage over the last four seasons.  

Pro: It’s only a one-year commitment.  

Con: He’s never thrown more than 120 innings in a season. 

22 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I suggested that in another thread.  Both because he is a LHP in OPACY, and because if he does have a short outing as he recovers from TJS, we could use a ton of bullpen and they would have the day off Monday and still be available Tuesday.

Some folks agreed with me, while others felt that Grayson should go Sunday because he is our next best pitcher, and/or because they would rather the rookie pitch at home in Baltimore.   Valid points.

So it is up for debate.

I agree with this and the reasoning.  I like the lefty Means at home game 2 and Grayson on the road game 3.  Don't forget that Grayson made his debut on the road against the Rangers (I was there), so it's not an unfamiliar stadium.  Plus, as a Texan he'll surely have lots of family and friends there for support (plus me shouting as loud as I can from section 108).

Edited by yark14
  • Upvote 1

Eovaldi working his way back from injury knocked out on the 98th pitch.

35-47-73-82-86-80-98 his Game Log platform since injury return.     Almost certainly he'll pitch TEX's first home game in Game 3.

Today was the first day he's been really good in a while.    Before he hit a wall like Tyler Wells, he was one of the best pitchers in the league.

4 minutes ago, AdamK said:

Apparently you can watch the action in 3-D instead of the typical Gameday interface... It's live action just with avatars. 

Is this weird? Why not just show the video instead of virtual reality in real-time?

image.thumb.png.b295cb01c53bf2db78f8916ebdb6ce0f.png

They sell a subscription for that.

Just now, allquixotic said:

Come on, Rays, at least make it interesting. I'd love to see a Game 3 in this series, but if not, at least the Rays should dump a bunch of runs and make Texas sweat. I don't want Texas coming to Baltimore feeling invincible.

I'm fine with an overconfident Rangers team.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AdamK said:

Apparently you can watch the action in 3-D instead of the typical Gameday interface... It's live action just with avatars. 

Is this weird? Why not just show the video instead of virtual reality in real-time?

image.thumb.png.b295cb01c53bf2db78f8916ebdb6ce0f.png

Follow the money. Television exclusivities.

The TV exclusivities don't cover alternative "reconstructions" or representations of the game, like a VR simulation of the action, etc. They only cover what the cameras pick up.