Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

It’s possible they hold onto Cease but it’s a huge risk. WS fans that I see talking about doing that only Assume the best.

If he has a bad first half or gets hurt, they are trading him for 50 cents on the dollar, at most.

They could get more than he’s worth now, no doubt but it’s a huge gamble.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No he’s not 

He is if this  is the best offer they get. The value will go down as his control decreases. Can he get a better deal at the deadline or next offseason? Possibly but there is no guarantee. We kept waiting for a Machado super deal. It never happened and we would’ve gotten a lot more with 2 years remaining.

Edited by Roll Tide

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He is if this  is the best offer they get. The value will go down as his control decreases. Can he get a better deal at the deadline or next offseason? Possibly but there is no guarantee. We kept waiting for a Machado super deal. It never happened and we would’ve gotten a lot more with 2 years remaining.

If that’s the best they could get, they should take the risk and hold him. (Unless they really love those guys, in which case you do it)

Edited by Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Keeping Cease for 2 Losing seasons doesn’t improve the future of their club beyond a comp pick when he leaves in free agency. Surely they are being offered more than that. Ortiz is that before you consider anything else. 

IMO, they're gonna hold onto him.

They've been listening to offers since last summer, they haven't moved him.  The market has spoken and Getz doesn't like what the market has to say.  And that's fine, but that's his prerogative.  I don't think at this venture any of the teams out there are going to up the ante and add talent to an already proposed package in order to land Cease.  Really, kudos to everyone involved for not being desperate.

SG is right, it's a huge risk for Getz to hold onto Cease but if that's the game he wants to play, that's fine.  I hope that Cease's numbers are in line with his 2023 performance and Getz gets less than he would have been able to get in the offseason while the White Sox limp to another ~60 win season.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Keeping Cease for 2 Losing seasons doesn’t improve the future of their club beyond a comp pick when he leaves in free agency. Surely they are being offered more than that. Ortiz is that before you consider anything else. 

That's the risk they want to take.

I will say, they have the advantage of playing in perhaps the worst division in the MLB.  I disagree with keeping him, but it's possible that they think they can hold onto him for 2 years and maybe, just maybe, they'll be a better team in a couple years to make a run at a playoff berth.  That's stupid thinking, but here we are conditioned to having to play the Rays, Sox, Yanks and Jays every year and having to come fully loaded in order to do battle.  

Again, I disagree with the thought process here but maybe Getz thinks that if they hold onto him it's not so bad because they don't have too steep a hill to climb in that divison.

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, they're gonna hold onto him.

They've been listening to offers since last summer, they haven't moved him.  The market has spoken and Getz doesn't like what the market has to say.  And that's fine, but that's his prerogative.  I don't think at this venture any of the teams out there are going to up the ante and add talent to an already proposed package in order to land Cease.  Really, kudos to everyone involved for not being desperate.

SG is right, it's a huge risk for Getz to hold onto Cease but if that's the game he wants to play, that's fine.  I hope that Cease's numbers are in line with his 2023 performance and Getz gets less than he would have been able to get in the offseason while the White Sox limp to another ~60 win season.

Right, like... there won't suddenly be a team that says "ok screw it HERE'S ALL MY PROSPECTS". If he hasn't seen a deal he likes since last year, he's probably not going to find one this off-season or even at the next deadline. Not THAT much will change. 

He ain't getting traded. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

That’s exactly what I’d be saying right now if I were him - whether or not I believed it.  No harm in sending a message that he wants more than has been offered to date.  

I also think that there is a point where, if the offers are sufficiently meager even though borderline fair, he’s better off rolling the dice.   To be clear, if we are offering Kjerstad/Cowser + Ortiz/Norby, he’d be nuts to turn that down and roll the dice.  But I’m sure he’s trying to get more than that (or the equivalent).  

Edited by Frobby